Passport external drives and MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Luis Ortega, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I was looking at the little passport external drives as a useful accessory to my laptop, but I was wondering if they can run well from the laptop power or if they require a separate power adapter?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. mikey.f macrumors regular

I don't have Passport, but Seagate FreeAgent - and it comes with two USB "plugs". Sometimes there's enough power from one for the HDD to operate without a problem, and sometimes the one supplies too little power and I have to plug the second one in order for the HDD to work. So, i guess it depends on some heavenly forces or some other sort of science mischief which I don't understand.

3. Eric L macrumors member

I use the 320GB Passport on my 17" MBP and have no problems with it at all. I got it at Best Buy on sale for $125. If I were to do it again, however, I think I would build my own with an internal 2.5" drive (maybe 7200rpm) and put it into a portable OWC Firewire 800 case. Same portability as the Passport but a huge bump in speed.

4. secretpact macrumors 6502

I think the passport's can run off the laptop's power and doesn't require to be plugged in to the wall directly.

5. bov macrumors 6502

but is it required to be plugged into 2 usb ports?

6. secretpact macrumors 6502

I don't think so. I've never heard of a WD passport requiring two USB ports.

7. tip macrumors 6502

tip

The Passport runs fine powered by the USB port. I had one (which I replaced my internal drive with).

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It runs off a single USB on any Mac laptop (but maybe not laptops from 12 years ago).

However, there are some Windows laptops that have USBs which can't provide enough power for a Passport to run off a single USB, and so they include a cable that lets you run the drive off 2 USB ports. That's why some people complain about this drive on the internet. However, these complaints don't matter for Mac users, because :apple: laptops are the shizzle. ;)

9. Eric L macrumors member

I see this Passport 320Gb is on sale at Best Buy this week for $149.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I notice there's a little problem with USB powered devices. I discovered, if you are using the MBP's expresscard slot for other interfaces, such as memory card readers, firewire & usb2 expansion ect.

Occasionally the USB device unmount, disconnect because the power supply isn't 100% stable. However I've not sure how much damage it'll cause the drive it it should unmount while it's reading or writing data.

Has anyone else encountered this?

11. bern1812 macrumors member

They have a blue 320 GB passport at Buy.com for 139.99 and free shipping and tax free

12. Future Blues macrumors member

Passport drives run fine from a MB or MBP's USB port(s).

However, you won't be able to connect them to a USB hub off those same ports due to the power requirements.

13. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Do you run the Passport and use Time Machine? or Carbon Copy Cloner? I have an external with my iMac and use Time Machine. I am assuming the Passport can do the same thing for my Macbook Pro.

14. dingster1 macrumors regular

I'm using a 250 gig Passport on my MBP right now, USB only. works great

15. Eric L macrumors member

One partition of Passport is for Time Machine, the other partition is for photo backup.

16. ddavid macrumors regular

If you have an older laptop such as a Powerbook G4 you'll need to use two USB ports in order to provide enough power to run the hard drive. Without the extra power of the second port, the drive will just blink, beep, or simply not mount.

17. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Also if you sign-up for Google Checkout you get an additional $10 off.

I opted for the Passport Elite 250gb in the Titanium. I think it will go quite well with the Macbook Pro. $121.99 - the $10 for $111.99, couldn't pass it up at that price.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

WD Passport drives 2.5" will NOT work on PowerBook or iBook with one port, but does work on MBP with 1 port.

19. schradec macrumors newbie

Heres what I'm using and I love it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8744727&type=product&id=1202648989640

Small but not so small that you will loose it...lots of storage, fast, and easy to transport. USB plug in and thats all ya need, doesn't suck much battery life. Cant go wrong, plug and play easy.

20. bov macrumors 6502

thank you! this is the answer i am looking for . :D

time to go buy a WD passport!

21. JBLinkinsop macrumors newbie

I am currently using a WD 500 GB external and its great. It comes with some nice software AND it was only 129.99 at Cost-co. I HAD a 160 GB Passport but it died. I tried everything short of mouth to mouth but it was no use.