Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've looked too but no luck on my side. There is no way to get HD audio out of a Mac that I could find.

Unfortunately, Kodi doesn't support 4k.

The MacBooks have a protected audio path that is required to pass HD audio but there is no software that can take advantage of this fact.

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Great, thanks. So I guess I will keep my windows PC around.
Simplest solution for many people would be an nVidia Shield 2017 or Pro since both can bitstream audio from rips.

I use a Windows 10 HTPC to stream DTS-HD MA and TrueHD audio to my receiver too. I don't have an Atmos system so 5.1 is fine for me.

Last edited:

mrno00

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
Any update? Still no confirmation that new apple tv 4k could passthrough.

mrno00

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
That's new. Don't know that before.
But as Apple controls its own OS, I think it wont be a problem if they truly want to enable that.
So i have to keep using my shield tv pro 2019 for now, I assume.

mrno00

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
In order to bitstream DTS:X and Atmos over TrueHD, the Apple TV would need to have a protected audio path and I'm not sure it has that capability. There are no devices running Android TV 9.0 or higher that can pass lossless except for the nVidia Shield.
But as Apple controls its own OS, I think it wont be a problem if they truly want to enable that.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Passing TrueHD and DTS-HD MA has always required a protected audio path and it's a something that has to be implemented in hardware and software. If the hardware isn't compatible, it would not be possible.

Keep the nVidia. I use a Windows 10 htpc to bitstream audio lossless audio.

mrno00

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
Passing TrueHD and DTS-HD MA has always required a protected audio path and it's a something that has to be implemented in hardware and software. If the hardware isn't compatible, it would not be possible.

Keep the nVidia. I use a Windows 10 htpc to bitstream audio lossless audio.
Thanks, learned a lot. I was thinking its just a software limitation. Shield seems like still the best choice for me.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Evidently Infuse will do it. Not sure about Plex.

Infuse does support DTS-HD MA and TrueHD, and the full lossless audio will be sent to your receiver as LPCM. The decoding process itself is standardized between all Dolby/DTS certified products (Infuse is certified and licensed for both) so in the end there is no difference whether this decoding is…

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Evidently Infuse will do it. Not sure about Plex.

Infuse does support DTS-HD MA and TrueHD, and the full lossless audio will be sent to your receiver as LPCM. The decoding process itself is standardized between all Dolby/DTS certified products (Infuse is certified and licensed for both) so in the end there is no difference whether this decoding is…

DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, yes (sent lossless as PCM over HDMI)
DTS:X and Dolby Atmos, no - with the exception of Atmos using E-AC3 (Blu-ray uses Atmos over TrueHD, Netflix uses Atmos over E-AC3)

At one point this worked in Infuse before Apple changed tvOS and broke lossless passthrough. Many people have asked Apple to unbreak it.

I use a raspberryPi 4 using the latest LibreELEC OS beta + Plex plug-in ... and passthrough works perfectly.

Reactions: mrno00

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Audio passthrough was there and infuse pro had corresponding option in its settings.
Apple deliberately blocked this functionality in tvOS 11.3.
couple of versions later that option was also removed from infuse as defunct and confusing.
I do not know what might have been the reason behind that decision. Shouldn”t be the lack of HDCP.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Audio passthrough was there and infuse pro had corresponding option in its settings.
couple of versions later that option was also removed from infuse as defunct and confusing.
I do not know what might have been the reason behind that decision. Shouldn”t be the lack of HDCP.

Did the Apple TV ever pass DTS-HD MA and TrueHD from Infuse or only DTS and DD? I've never used Infuse or Infuse Pro for streaming files.

mrno00

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021

There's a saying that Apple TV keeps Siri online and need to mix the Siri tunnel into the audio, so the decoding needs to be done in ATV, which means can't passthrough.

Jus711

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
I still think its an anti-piracy thing as much as anything else. As pointed out, no current mass commercial devices do it outside of the shield. I have a Xiaomi Mi Box that used to do it until Android 9.0 broke that capability ad its far less powerful than the ATV4K.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Did the Apple TV ever pass DTS-HD MA and TrueHD from Infuse or only DTS and DD? I've never used Infuse or Infuse Pro for streaming files.
Thats how I understood it back in the day. I was too late for the Infuse Pro party.
The free non-Pro never did. And I did not see the reason to pay for Pro back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.