Password accepted but can't log in (10.7.2)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by marekkurlmann, Jan 28, 2012.

1. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

I'm running Lion 10.7.2 on a late 2009 MacBook Air. The problem I describe happened just after installing the most recent iTunes and Safari updates.

1. At "choose account" log-in screen, when I choose ANY of the regular user accounts, OS X accepts the password, then loads a gray screen, and a few seconds later goes back to the "choose account" log-in screen.

2. I am not entering the wrong password. OS X still gives the shaking password box when I enter the wrong password. That's not what's happening here.

3. I can log in to the guest account. It's the only was I can get past the log-in screen.

Any idea what's happening or know of a solution? I've tried resetting PRAM.

My apologies if this has been answered before. I couldn't find any references to this precise log-in problem.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

No luck in safe mode. Any other suggestions? Has this bug been seen before?

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This is pretty surprising. Are you sure it said "Safe Boot" on the login window?

The issue you are having wreaks of startup item/launch agent problems, which should clear up in Safe Boot, allowing you to troubleshoot further.

5. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Any chance that after the patch, you also installed MS Office 2011? There's an annoying issue w/MS Office that it trounces on the internal authentication system in Lion. The only fix I've found thus far is to re-install Lion on top of itself without formatting.

Apple knows about it, but I'm not sure where they are with prevention (if it's even possible).

jas

6. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, that's not it. Office isn't even installed.

7. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Re-install anyway. It'll take 15-20 minutes and you'll be back in gear in no time. Something's munged up with the authentication system and no amount of repairs (permissions, filesystem, etc) is going to fix it.

jas

8. hr2000 macrumors newbie

I've just got the exact same problem - also a Macbook Air from late 2009.

Anything new on this problem?

Also its been VERY unstable and unreliable since summer 2011 - freezing, not booting up, hanging on startup - having loooong startup times etc.

I've had to reinstall several (10-12) times just to boot up. Then after a backup and after formatting and reinstalling - the same problems appear over and over, again and again...

No hardware problems or anything like that. According to Apple.

Im thinking of trashing the piece of ****.... never returning to Apple...

9. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, nothing. I had to reinstall too. The machine has been running so slowly that I'm going to sell it in a few weeks. It takes 10 minutes to boot up and load a Web page without a beach ball. I don't know if it's only that it's not up to running Lion or if it's something else, but the machine is a very nice looking paperweight.