Password Annoyance

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freis968, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

When I install a new program I get a window that pops up asking me for my password. I don't have a Master Password for my computer, I left it blank intentionally so all I have to do is click on OK and the program installs. Likewise, sometimes when I delete some items on my computer this same window pops up.

How can I disable this most annoying Password Window?

2. jaxonkohne macrumors member

first check in system preferences->security and i think the third check box down say require password for evry secure sysem preference. make sure that is NOT clicked. and other than that there are some functions that require your administrative password so that somebody who isn't an administrator can't make fundamental changes on the computer... you can look at the pop down details menu on these password prompts and they show exsactly the system file that requires this... as far as I know your out of luck.. but maybe someone else know to bypass it.

3. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I hope you don't mind me asking but why do you want to disable this? Entering a password provides security.

4. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I am the only one at home who gets on my Mac Pro, there is no need for passwords in my condo.

5. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

It is unchecked...thanks for the reply however.

6. pooky macrumors 6502

It is not security from people coming into your condo. It is security from malicious software. Trojans and worms, mainly. You may find it annoying to have to enter your password, but having to do so virtually eliminates the threat of worms (malicious software that infects your system without your knowledge or your action). Disabling the password requirement removes this protection, and is not possible, as far as I know.

FWIW, having a blank password is also a huge security no-no. Any malicious program worth anything will try that as its first guess.

7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Having that password is an important part of the security of your system. It may irritate you but you are effectively going to have an "Installanyoldcrap" button on you Mac if you were able to turn said security system off.

You may feel there is no security risk online on a Mac - you'd be wrong. Sorry.

8. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Ok, you all have taught this "ignorant" user a lesson. I did not realize that the password was tied in with the internet. I thought it was a local password only.

Thanks for clarifying this...:)