Password Asterisk Revealing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tallest Skil, May 30, 2009.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This may seem funny in light of this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5962302&postcount=3

But Psi doesn't store passwords in the Keychain.

I guess an all-around solution isn't needed. I just need to know where Psi stores its passwords, as I'm trying to fix my iChat/MSN routing that rejected my password after a month.

Thanks.

Oh, or being able to copy/paste text from a password field would work.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Psi is a standalone Jabber client that I used as an intermediary step between Microsoft Messenger and iChat. You need to rout the MSN contacts into a Jabber account, and my Jabber password is the one that I am missing.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's non uncommon that a Mac program doesn't make use of the keychain, even Firefox doesn't, though I'm hoping a future version will. While looking up a possible solution for you I saw a password recovery program pop up a bit. I won't link to it though because I don't know if it's a trustworthy app/web site, but generally you should be a little weary of such sites. It's easy enough to find through Google if you want to find it.

Not having Psi (or any chat program) installed I can't say for certain where it may be stored. A place to start though would be in ~/Library/Application Support/. I'd hope they don't store the password in plain text since that isn't secure at all. If it has been hashed then it may be hard to recover even if you find it.