Password box in Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Any idea why the password box in Mac mail ALWAYS comes up and asks for 'password', It's not the server because I'd get a no response on the iPhone when that happens, but it's become a real pain, only happens on the Mac. It's too frequent to be bearable, and it's obviously a problem with the programme

2. Peter Franks, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, tedious. Every day tedious, like Flash/YouTube tedious that won't play, like why did I change from a PC to Mac for all these problems tedious...

just in case you're wondering tedious :D

Also... any idea when columning the 'From' in 'Sent', the people beginning with 'O', the letter, not number are at the top and not in the alphabetical?

3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Did you allow your password to be saved to your keychain? My mail app never asks for a password.

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh, the tick box for it comes up every time when you open Mail and the password pop up comes up..

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

I've never really got the keychain thing to be honest, in all my years of being a Mac user*

OK, I've only been one for a couple of months.... :D but hadn't really got the point of that one. Isn't it just something that keeps passwords much like a browser saving them for you?

7. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Yeah, on a mac, that's where passwords are stored - can be to websites, networks, certificates etc. All in one place, also allowing you to see them if you've forgotten a login you previously stored.

According to its description, you can also store other stuff there, like your ssn, and assign a password required to access it all, but I've always been reluctant to put even more personal stuff on my computer... :eek:

But if you get it right, there's no reason mail should keep asking for your pw...

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I'm not mad about storing all my passwords in there to be honest, but I did for Mail, because it looks like there is no choice in doing so, but there's a few quirks with Mail that are lousy. The keeping drafts when you've already sent the email and yet they will store them in there even when in sent items. A quick scan of this forum shows that problem has been going on for over 5 years in Mac Mail so I'm at a loss as to why they can't fix it?