iPhone Password for backup?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by BarkingGhost, Aug 28, 2015.

1. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

Morning All,

I have an employer iPhone 5 running iOS 8.4 which I am trying to restore from a backup made last July. I am logged into both the iTunes store (needed?) and the iPhone is unlocked, but when I select to restore from the backup (under Backups) I am prompted for a password. I've tried both the phone's password and the iTunes store password and neither work.

Ideas?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I believe backup passwords are set independently when you choose in iTunes to encrypt them

3. BarkingGhost thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I never was prompted for a password that I can remember. I usually jot down any passwords separately for when I need them again. If I re-used a password then it ain't working. Can this be the result of somehow upgrading the iOS between backup and attempted restore?

4. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

if it's the itunes encryption passw, it doesn't prompt by default, you must click on the encryption and enter the pass to enable it. enter it once, and it keeps it there for next backups.

you must've enabled it a while back and forgot; that's why it's asking you to enter it for restore.

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

For the future get something like 1Password to store your info. As you have discovered jotting them down on paper doesn't tend to work that well.