Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
Morning All,

I have an employer iPhone 5 running iOS 8.4 which I am trying to restore from a backup made last July. I am logged into both the iTunes store (needed?) and the iPhone is unlocked, but when I select to restore from the backup (under Backups) I am prompted for a password. I've tried both the phone's password and the iTunes store password and neither work.

Ideas?

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
Hmm, I never was prompted for a password that I can remember. I usually jot down any passwords separately for when I need them again. If I re-used a password then it ain't working. Can this be the result of somehow upgrading the iOS between backup and attempted restore?

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
Hmm, I never was prompted for a password that I can remember. I usually jot down any passwords separately for when I need them again. If I re-used a password then it ain't working. Can this be the result of somehow upgrading the iOS between backup and attempted restore?

if it's the itunes encryption passw, it doesn't prompt by default, you must click on the encryption and enter the pass to enable it. enter it once, and it keeps it there for next backups.

you must've enabled it a while back and forgot; that's why it's asking you to enter it for restore.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
For the future get something like 1Password to store your info. As you have discovered jotting them down on paper doesn't tend to work that well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.