Password for EVERYTHING????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by C1raider, Apr 7, 2011.

1. C1raider, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

C1raider macrumors member

Hello, I'm pretty new to the mac OSX and am getting frustrated with the frequency of password requests. It seems like I can move my mouse cursor without authentication. I like to check settings and modify my computer regularly so it becomes a real hassle having to type my password every 3 mins. Is there anyway to enter the password ONCE to unlock the computer and never again....until I lock the computer?

Thanks so much

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Are you set up as an administrator? Most password prompts go away if you are signed in as an admin. However, if you try to do something stupid to the system (like delete something important) you may not know until it's too late. Your call.

I have myself setup on my laptop as a non-admin, and I just type in my password when I need to.

cheers

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There is an option in the Security system preference that locks each elevated panes. You might want to disable that if it is along with requiring a password from sleep or screensaver.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's not the normal behavior.

Sounds like you modified the standard account / behavior on your 2011 13" MBP.

Contact Apple for support. Apple Stores provide free workshops that you will find useful.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It is entirely possible with a few checkboxes. /Applications can be fickle as well after years. Mine requires a password even on my administrator accounts.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2007110800450816

I had to reset my administrator account recently. My password was not working for some logins until it eventually stopped working completely. (It was not a keyboard issue either.) Booting off of the DVD showed no other accounts other than root on my Mac.