password for genius bar?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mentaluproar, Feb 5, 2014.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I'm bringing in my retina macbook pro AGAIN for weird creaking, this time at the hinge in the back. It sounds like adhesive is letting go of it, and the genius said it looks slightly bowed. He ordered a replacement screen and told me to give the password for my main user account.

My question is why. Why would they need that? While I'm not exactly keeping nuclear launch codes on my macbook, and I do have undercover installed and ready, but it's not difficult to defeat those measures.

OSX boots just fine externally, as I would imagine Apple's tools would too. So why do they need that password?

I could always erase the entire system and restore from NAS when I get back, but is there a reason to leave it as-is?

2. Anitramane macrumors 6502

3. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I always change my password to something simple like "hello" when handing in my laptop and change it back when I get it back.

4. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

changing it doesn't do me much good with my keychain exposed.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Sign out of iCloud! Problem solved.

6. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

The app Keychain Access still holds all his login passwords as well as system passwords locally, and all they need to access it is his admin account password.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

On the rare occasions that I had to send my laptop into apple, I created a guest account for them to use and removed my personal information, i.e., removed my user account and then when I got it back, restored it from a backup

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

to be honest its 100% recomended you do a full backup before sending it in for service, use something like CarbonCopyCloner make a full bootable backup

do a clean install on your machine and hand it over with no password

9. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I'll just call in and ask why they need it as is.

10. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Can't you create a separate "Repair" admin account and just let them use that for their repair diagnostics?

It might be a good plan to create that while the computer is fully operational, since sometimes you can't fully manage the computer or even backup or delete data due to the fault condition when you need to take it in for repair.