Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Need to enter password twice to start up my new MBA M1 although sometimes only once is enough -
This is another issue not sure how important but I am getting concerned there may be a more sero=ious issue ahead after 14 day return period.
Its a fully spaced 2020 MBA M1 16 GB and 2TB

any advice please

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I run Mojave with multiple user accounts enabled. Whenever I select a user from the macOS login screen, my machine will erase any password or partial password typed in the text box before a few seconds have passed. This causes the login to fail and I have to re-login. It might be related to a Time Machine drive spinning up and "distracting" the OS...in any case, if I wait 5 seconds or so before entering a password and logging in, everything works as expected.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Apple_Robert is right this is normal behavior if you have your disk encrypted.

When your Mac is shut down completely, the first password will unencrypt your drive, second will login to your account.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
On Mojave at least, FileVault doesn't require a double login after booting or waking from sleep. As long as I wait for my Time Machine drive to spin up, a single login is all it takes to access any user account on my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.