password/keychain problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jnette, Jan 4, 2008.

1. jnette macrumors member

Hi there.. me again ! :D

Love, love , love this site. :)

After your assistance offered with my first disaster (of my own doing), I'm here to humbly request another assist. Heh. (are you sick of me yet?) :p

I seem to be stuck in the password thing. I am now the main administrator of my system, but many "keychain" popups rear their nasty little heads here and there, and while SOME accept my password, some do not.

And no matter what email account I add, I simply cannot use my "mail" in any shape or form, as I cannot get past the "password" problems! :(

I don't have a mac account (yet) but I've tried my ISP account every way I know how.. but cannot get anywhere. Keeps asking for the "smtp" password, asks for password to receive mail, send mail... I wish I didn't have to get past the "keychain" annoyances for every little thing I attempt to access. I've read through the "keychain help" but still can't seem to get any furthrer.

Could there still be the previous owner's password hanging on in the root files somewhere messing with my ability to use my new password (which I entered after rebooting from new..started the system over from scratch.. welcome screen and music, the works.)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanx in advance. :)

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Try going into System Preferences...->Accounts and creating a new account for yourself - be sure to use a different name and short name.

See if you can get Mail to work. Keychain issues shouldn't be a problem.

3. jnette thread starter macrumors member

Good idea ! THANK YOU ! :)

Will give that a try... right NOW ! ;)

If it works, I'll hug your cyber neck !!! :D

4. jnette thread starter macrumors member

5. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

Is there a way to get this fixed without resorting to a new Account?