Password lock a folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fstfrwrd, Jun 11, 2008.

1. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

How can you put a password lock on a folder?
    So that it can't be deleted and you can only access it if you enter a password?

are there any 3rd party apps that do this or is this possible in OS X natively?

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

you can lock a folder and make it so that you can only add files but cant open it. to do this go into get info on the folder then at the bottom lock it put in your system password. to unlock it do the same. the folder becomes a drop box, you can add files to it by dragging it in but you cant open it unless you unlock it. someone correct me if i'm wrong on the exact process since i'm at work and not in front of my mac right now.

3. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, found it.
    but you don't have to insert your password to unlock the folder, which is quite unlogical.

unless i'm overseeing something ...?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't know of any apps that work well, but they are out there if you really want them.

could just create a sparse disk image with encryption. just have to be sure to eject it when you're done.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

there is a way to do it so that it requires a password. mess around with the permissions like take away permissions for everyone on the list including admin, then its going to ask you for password in order to give it back. i think thats how i did it. I know theres a way.

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

That's what I do; works great for me. Then you're not tied to just one folder either. Be sure to make it large enough though; that's where I messed up the first time.

7. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

is it just me or is this reaaaally inconsistent?
    i'm now stuck with an empty folder that i can't delete haha.

how do you make these disk images you speak of?

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Use the Disk Utility Application
    Then "New image"
    Name it.
    Select the encryption.
    Under Image Format choose "sparse disk image"

If you use the sparse feature then the disk image will only take up the amount of space that is contained within it. Therefore, plan ahead with a larger-than-you-need disk image and it will grow as you add files up to the maximum disk image size that you selected.

Also, so maintain the password protection don't add the password to your keychain. Otherwise, any user who is using your account can simply open the disk image.