Password management on iPhone AND iMac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mnilan, Oct 18, 2010.

1. mnilan macrumors member

Folks:
    (Please note that this is also an issue I posted in the Apple Applications -iPhone and iPad applications area).

I am interested in password management - the old memory just isn't what it used to be... I have two requirements above and beyond the obvious:

1. I would like something that makes it so that my iMac and my iPhone have the same solution, i.e., I don't have to do two things to be able to switch from one platform to the other in terms of accessing websites. I also have a PC at work and, while it would be nice to have the same set-up there, it is not critical.

2. I would like the software to generate secure passwords that really are secure rather than rely on my ability to random select a password.

So far I have been to the websites for 1Password, mSecure, and Strip but I can't find out anything about these specific capabilities. I HAVE seen references to "syncing" with other devices but it is not clear exactly what that implies...

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. mike9285 macrumors newbie

I use 1Password on my Mac and iPhone. It allows your to sync your stored passwords over your local wifi or over the internet via Dropbox. So far so good for me.

3. mnilan thread starter macrumors member

software on iPhone and on iMac?

mike9285:
    So I buy the iMac software and then the iPhone app and they will work together?

Does 1Password also generate passwords that are secure?
    Thanks.

4. yezza macrumors regular

mnilan, check out Moxier Wallet. Firstly, it does require a subscription fee (~$30 US/year from memory).

I ran the trial, and within a week or so knew it was the ticket. I have since subscribed and it's been perfect.

I use it on my iPhone, my Mac Pro at home, and my PC at work. It all syncs up perfectly.

You can generate secure passwords. Options are capital letters, numbers, special characters, and length (4-20 characters).

On the iPhone you have the option to run a browser from inside the app, and from there easily copy/paste your username and passwords without the need to type them in. I think it has a secure clipboard feature too.

It sounds like you are looking for exactly what I was. I highly recommend this app. Hope this helps.

BTW, you buy the subscription once, then sync to as many devices as you like.

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I also use 1Password, and yes, both the Mac and iPhone/iPad apps work fairly well together. The app on the iPad is missing a feature or two that they've promised in future updates, but overall the experience is pretty good.

Unfortunately, all of the iPhone password apps require that you cut and paste into Mobile Safari, or that you use their built in browsers. This is due to an inherent limitation set by Apple, and it does make using them less convenient. But I found I got used to it over time. It's worth it both to have the extra layer of security on the phone and to not have to worry about remembering all those passwords!

And yes, 1Password can generate passwords for you if you choose.

6. bilboa macrumors regular

Yes, 1Password generates secure passwords. 1Password is excellent, has great integration with browsers on the Mac, so-so integration with browsers on Windows, and has a great iPhone/iPad app as well. It's useful for storing other things than passwords too, like credit card info, other kinds of login info, and secure notes for any arbitrary information.

7. tourphoto123 macrumors newbie

1password is hands down the best of the best. To sync also sign up for dropbox. This is by far the best of the best. Just keep in mind that if you ever forget the main password, you cannot open up the program so make sure you are not the only one that knows the password or write it down somewhere.

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

FYI to the OP--Dropbox isn't a requirement to sync, just one method. I actually sync wirelessly over my home network just fine, no need for another app in the middle.

9. Tozzi macrumors regular

I've been using Ilium Software eWallet on the PC for ages now and am still happy with it. They recently (finally) introduced a Mac OS X Version and it works really well for me.
    The iOS version is a universal app and looks pretty good on the iPad as well.