Password Management

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by longwood, Mar 29, 2009.

1. longwood macrumors regular

So I have participated in MacHeist in the past and did so this year as well and referred some people so I have access to a number of password management programs. I prefer to only install and use one application so I would like to hear the advantages/disadvantages of each. The programs that I have available to me are:

1Password
    Data Guardian
    AllSecure

Any help in figuring out which is a better program would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

i really like 1Password, what really cool is it works on every browser and you can use dropbox so everything syncs across multiple computers.

3. jasimon9 macrumors regular

I am seeking the same answer. I have been trying 1Password, but as a new convert from windows, I am missing Roboform, which takes fewer clicks to use than 1Password.

In Roboform, after one click, you get the menu of passcards. To get the same on 1Password takes 3 clicks/motions (1P > Go & Fill > Unassigned).

Is there a way to get directly to the list of sites?

4. jasimon9 macrumors regular

I may have found my own solution at http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?t=6194, which discusses how to achieve the same result as in Roboform for Safari. I have not tried it yet with Firefox, but am going to give it a shot.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox has this remembering multiple- passwords function itself, you don't need any third party app for it?

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

1Password has done a great job for me. I can look and see what the password is, if I have forgotten it.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats a handy function, which firefox offers as well, firefox also allow you to search among your passwords database. very handy when you have large amount of them.

Attached Files:

8. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

+1 for 1Password. And the latest build is Safari 4 beta compatible.

9. jasimon9 macrumors regular

Agreed, there is a built-in basic capability. But just as with all other built-in software, there are more powerful versions that are justified for some people.

If the built-in capability is all you need, go no further.

10. jeremybuff macrumors regular

What else would you need? Not meant to be condescending at all, just curious.

11. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

1password is the best. They have good support, and update often.

12. longwood thread starter macrumors regular

I have been using all of them over the past couple of days, and I would have to say that 1Password is pretty good. I opened up DataGuardian, while it doesn't seem too bad, there are a few things that I didn't like. The first being that it doesn't automatically encrypt your data - not cool. You can specify how enter your information instead of the set spaces, that is the only real feature that seemed different than AllSecure or 1Password. AllSecure looks great and can generate passwords for you and works with the Keychain. However, if for example you have multiple accounts at one site (i.e., gmail) then you would have to log-in from the AllSecure program. 1Password's advantage is that you can install the toolbar to Safari (or any other browser) and select which user name you would like to sign in with. Taking others' advice and my short experimentation I think I will be sticking with 1Password. Thanks for the help.

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

1password is awesome i use it for all my passwords in Safari and the lock icon blends nicely with the Leopard theme.

i also use it to make random secure passwords for some of my accounts. but i cant use them on another computer. is there any way that i can use them on another Mac/PC? i dont have a PDA (Palm/iPhone).

14. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

I've been using 1Password for the last year or so and it's great when you open a new account and want to easily add it to your database. However, I've recently noticed that (if coupled with an iPhone) it likes to generate duplicates of every single item. Also, if you're not careful, you can end up deleting your entire database when you do a sync. Lastly, the "wifi only" sync just isn't cutting it. I recently found another program called Wallet (http://www.acrylicapps.com/wallet/) that does almost everything that 1Password can do and it can sync across wifi/3g to MobileMe.