password manager program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by littlewaywelt, Dec 12, 2007.

1. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

Any recommendations for a secure/encrypted program to hold personal data like credit card numbers, passwords, login info, bank accnt info, etc?

I've been using Illium's eWallet on my PC and WM Treo which I've been very happy with.

If anyone knows something that will sync with a WM pda phone that would be ideal.

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

1Password all the way! Also, you can get a license for the current version for free using the MacGems promo. :D

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

I use the inbuilt Keychain. It has the ability to store secure notes, which is all I need to store import information.

5. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

I'm using 1Password, browser integration is great (FF, Safari, Camino, etc). Seems to work with Palm too, haven't tried that. Before this I used SplashID in my mac at home, Windows PC at work an in my iPaq, but I like 1Password better. :apple:

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Another vote for using Keychain Access.app

Picture 1.jpg

Why use 3rd party stuff when there's an absolutely perfect little app in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder? :)

Secure Notes are very nice.

7. jsgreen macrumors 6502

SplashID

I used SplashID on my PC and my Treo for years. The PC version is more modern than the OS X version, though they say an updated OS X version will be released in the coming months (they are a small company, but their support has been very good).

I don't know how it compares to other programs, though.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes + 4!
    Seriously, recommended to me by a friend and now I don't know how I lived without it. One thing I want to try is to see if I can use it over my network but I haven't a second Mac to try just yet. I'd like to see if somehow it can't be installed on a NAS drive then accessed via any computer on my network. This way I can be anywhere and have it fill my password in. I like it best for it's strong password gen. that can be set to your specifications such as how many numbers/letters and whether you want other symbols in the password.

9. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I use 1Password because it syncs up perfectly with my iPhone. That way I have access to my passwords at work or wherever if I need them

10. littlewaywelt thread starter macrumors regular

Keychain won't sync with my WM Treo will it?
    1Password looks like the way to go.

thanks for the help

11. jsgreen macrumors 6502

The screenshots of 1Password look a lot nicer than SplashID

12. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Try keychain.app if it doesn't do enough for you, get 1Password. Both are great, just depends on your needs.

13. Ellen macrumors regular

What is the advantage of 1Password over Keychain?

I just switched from a Dell PC to an iMac. I used to use a program called Roboform that in addition to storing passwords with a master password, also stored account info and other info you wanted to protect. I haven't yet figured out what Keychain does and does not do, so any info would be appreciated.

14. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

1Password is the equivalent of Roboform for Mac: keeps passwords, identities, sensitive information such as bank accounts, credit cards, integrates with your browser, etc. pretty much as Roboform does in windows. 1Password uses a keychain to keep information secure :apple:

15. littlewaywelt thread starter macrumors regular

unfortunately 1password only works with palm os treos, not windows mobile treos.
    wallet doesn't sync with a treo either...any other suggestions?

16. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

Splash ID is a very good app, it runs on my iPaq, so I assume will run in a windows powered phone. I don't think it has web browser integration, but after 1Password it is my second choice.

Hope this helps :apple:

17. iPostpone macrumors member

Too bad RoboForm isn't available for the Mac. I've used it for several years on PC's, even synchronizing the data between three PC's at home and one at work, as well as a backup copy on my Palm Treo. Now that I have a Mac as well, it would sure be great to have one program do it all. :(

18. ivnj macrumors 65816

I use

http://www.passwordsafe.com

They even have an app for both mac and pc if you can't access the web at some time. Very secure. At least for me.

ivnj