Password Managers that don't cost a fortune?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by splitpea, Dec 19, 2011.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Help! I need a solution to securely store passwords on both an iPhone and the Mac desktop, with automatic sync, and would rather not spend $75 on the solution (e.g. 1Password).

I don't need autofill or Mac keychain integration (as most passwords I just use on Firefox on the desktop, which isn't Keychain-integrated anyway).

Anyone have a free or inexpensive (<$10) application that they'd recommend?

2. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

I've used Wallet for years. I don't know if it fits your $10 profile, it may have been a little higher for the Mac version; the iOS client is cheap just a few bucks. It uses Dropbox for the sync and has always been flawless for me.

EDIT: There are many programs named 'Wallet' the one I use is by Acrylic Software.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Wallet by Acrylic is great. i used it for a long while before going to 1Password for the integration.

4. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'm not seeing a Mac desktop version, though.

That looks like just about the right thing. A little more than I was hoping to spend, but a lot less than 1Password.

Has anyone tried KeePass?

5. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I'm a big Keepass fan (Windows PCs) but I'm looking for a native OSX password manager. Keepass runs on OSX with Mono.

6. stiwi macrumors regular

May I ask what did you miss in Acrylic software that you switched to 1Password?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

when i used it there was no browser integration. i see that it has it now which is great. that was my primary reason for switching. but overall it was great.

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Take a look at Lastpass. It's free and available for almost any platform. I used it for years before switching to 1Password.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I have to give 1Password the vote for #1 ... a great Canadian company.

as for it costing a fortune? ... I spent more on New Year's Eve dinner.

10. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

11. stiwi macrumors regular

The only drawback of Lastpass as far as I can see is that it lacks offline access to your data. So when you are on the go without the internet and need to get your credit card details, bank accounts, insurance numbers etc - it might be a problem. Am I correct?

That is not a good comparison. The question is if 1Password is really that better to pay 2x more than for "Wallet" from Acrylic. 1Password Mac + iPhone + iPad should be roughly $70, while "Wallet" $30.

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

On your first point you are correct however I would assume you'll always have your iPhone with you, right? But otherwise yes you need Internet access.

1Password IMHO is worth the money. It's not only great looking app on OSX but it's very well made and easy to use. I've tried many different ones and I like 1Password best.

But Lastpass served me well for the time I used it.

13. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

That's probably a question of personal preference, so it's worth downloading both to try out.

I've been using 1password for several years now, certainly before I heard about Acrylic Wallet, so I haven't tried that product. Looking at the website and some reviews it looks like Wallet has an edge in customizing what you can store inside it. 1password seems to have an edge in browser integration. It integrates with more browsers (if you use Firefox, Wallet won't integrate), it will recognize when you change your password and update the database, it will allow you to fill addresses, credit cards, etc. It's not clear to me whether Wallet will autofill the login when you visit it FROM Wallet, or whether it can do it when you navigate to it anyway.

For me, it is definitely useful for 1p to be able to create me a new account for something by filling in all my personal info, generating and filling a password, filling in the appropriate credit card if needed, and saving the results. Very low friction to keeping track of things.

14. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

It also means that your password data is stored in the "cloud" and that a security breach (which, IIRC they had a few months back) can expose your passwords.

Ah, yeah, thought I'd seen a native Mac version, but that would be a dealbreaker.

I ended up trialing and buying Wallet. $70 for 1Password may be New Year's Eve dinner for some, but for me it's two weeks of groceries. I don't know why everyone assumes that anyone who owns a Mac is a millionaire.

15. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

16. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

17. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

Since I was already using KeePass on Windows and iOS, I kept it and now use KeePassX on OSX. All free!
    I'm also heavily using LastPass for web sites though and use KeePass for credit card, etc.