Password needed to delete files

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eyelovecats, Jun 22, 2013.

1. eyelovecats macrumors newbie

i have an iMac os x version 10.8.4 with word 2011. All of a sudden when I want to delete a word file, it asks for my password. Command I on any file shows the owner (me) can read and write but everyone can only read. This not fun lol. please help:(!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Try this:

1. Shut down (all the way off)
    2. Reboot
    3. When you get to the Finder, open Disk Utility
    4. Choose "Repair permissions".

Does this help at all?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Give this a shot. Do a command-r boot to recovery then in the utilities menu launch the password reset utility. Select your account then in the bottom right there is a button to reset home directory permission and rebuild ACLs. Click that button and wait until it is done. Then reboot.

[​IMG]

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

So I wanted to try this out but did not get a "password reset utility" when I booted into the recovery partition. The utility menu only listed the firmware password utility, the network utility and the terminal option. Couldn't find the utility you indicated under any other menu options either. I'm running 10.8.4 on a 2012 iMac. Does this need to be done from an install image perhaps?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I apologize, this changed in Mt. Lion. Do a command-r to recovery then start Terminal from the utilities menu and type in resetpassword and enter. That will get you the utility I showed in the screen cap.