Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
Twice within one week my password was not recognised after waking from sleep. This hasn't happend before in my 15 years of Mac usage. I could recover via iCloud. I recently upgraded to Monterey. Instead of full new install, I updated in-place.

Is this indicative of a hardware problem, a Monterey problem or a compromised system?
Do I need to nuke my installation and/or reset all of my other devices and/or do I need to buy a new device before this one locks me out forever?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I can't answer the question as to why the password isn't working, but...
... if you don't have your data backed up on another drive, now is the time to start thinking about it.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
hardware problem

In the absence of more details, my first reaction is your situation could be caused by:
  • A problem with your keyboard (yes, keyboards do wear out or develop problems)
  • A Bluetooth problem, either on your Mac or on the keyboard if you have a wireless keyboard
  • The very brief delay many machines have in accepting keyboard input after starting up, restarting, and waking up. For example, my iMac often "misses" characters typed in the first half-second or so after the screen becomes readable.
Personally, I probably wouldn't try a macOS install or restore until I felt confident the problem couldn't be attributed to the keyboard, a cable or Bluetooth, RF interference, or a built-in quirk of macOS.

In any case, it's good you have redundant backups. If your password input problem does turn out to be due to something major failing on your Mac, you can get back up and running on a new machine with minimal hassle.

kibepo73

Suspended
Jun 2, 2022
If you follow the basic steps but the Mac still doesn't accept the correct password, this means your Mac may be facing more complex system-related problems. The issue can be login items incompatibility, start-up disk errors, file damage, Mac hard drive errors etc. However, below are the few ways to fix the problems and make your Mac recognize your login password again:
  1. Reset NVRAM/PRAM
  2. Reset SMC
  3. Boot into Safe Mode
  4. Reset your login password
  5. Reset your Mac
Hope it will help!

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
Thanks for the replies.

I now think the culprit is the keyboard itself. After enough tries and punching the keys, the password is accepted.
Although...either I forgot to type or the typing errors only happens in the login window.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I now think the culprit is the keyboard itself. After enough tries and punching the keys, the password is accepted."

WHICH Mac do you have?
A MacBook Pro, by any chance?
If so, is it one with the butterfly keyboard?

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
"I now think the culprit is the keyboard itself. After enough tries and punching the keys, the password is accepted."

WHICH Mac do you have?
A MacBook Pro, by any chance?
If so, is it one with the butterfly keyboard?
Multiple 😬

The one with issues is a Mac mini 2022. Not sure how old this keyboard is actually.
That's not something I keep track off.
I somehow managed to skip the butterfly keyboards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.