Password not working when trying to ssh into phone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by UFMatt, Jun 6, 2009.

1. UFMatt macrumors member

UFMatt

Alright guys I haven't tried to SSH into my phone in a while, and was just going to do it to change some things around. However, when I do all the directory: root port:22 stuff, and press connect, it prompts me to enter the password (alpine is what it always was I never changed it) and now it says denied? What gives? Thanks

Matt

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Try the instructions here to ssh via terminal and change the password. Hopefully that works. :)

3. UFMatt thread starter macrumors member

UFMatt

Tried that, didn't get the part at the end where it's telling you to copy something from your iphone as I don't know how to access it through terminal :( Changed my password in terminal and tried to get into it through Fugu and it still wouldn't work whether I typed in my new password or alpine.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Have you tried using cyberduck? You should IM me.

5. UFMatt thread starter macrumors member

UFMatt

D'oh just saw the blurb about copying files, installing transmit now!

6. UFMatt thread starter macrumors member

UFMatt

Nvm that didn't work either, ugh I guess I'll just have these things erased when I upgrade later in the month

7. ossumguywill macrumors newbie

on the device itself, using mobileterminal, type /usr/bin/passwd and try to change it there.

8. superxero3 macrumors regular

it's possible (happened to a friend) if you leave the openSSH server running all the time, and have WiFi on, your phone can show up on another persons computer and they could have SSH'd in (because they are on the same network) and messed with your phone.

My friend hadn't changed the default password for the root account from 'alpine'. Some one had SSH'd in and changed the password, and he ended up having to restore phone because he couldn't get root access to the device with out the password.

To avoid this..
    When you first jailbreak, install MobileTerminal, and do
    Code:
    ~:mobile$ su
    <alpine>
    root# passwd root
    <new password>
    <again>

9. UFMatt thread starter macrumors member

UFMatt

alright I've restored my phone and the password 'alpine' still won't work anyone know wtf could be going on?