Password on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleFan360, Jul 1, 2009.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I have a question and I can't seem to find a straight answer on this.

If you have a password on your iPhone and someone steals the iPhone, can the thief do anything with it? They can't sync it with iTunes since they need the password so how would they activate it for themselves?

I'm just curious because I have my iPhone password protected so I would like to think it is somewhat secure.

Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot about DFU mode. If the thief knows about placing the iPhone in DFU mode, it's pretty much gone right?

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The only thing the passlock really protects is your information. So if you do lose your iPhone, you know that the thief doesn't have access to your emails, messages, contacts etc... they can still use/activate the phone but they don't be able to do anything with your info.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

I agree, the Password lock only protects your personal information. It does nothing to protect / prevent someone from reusing your iPhone.

A simple restore as a "new" iPhone is all that is needed, the DFU is really only need in the case of the "Remote Wipe" function as it erases your data and the OS.

Dave

4. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14