Password on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by manowar, Jan 24, 2011.

1. manowar macrumors regular

manowar

Just bought a secondhand Macbook for my 8 year old son.
    The person i got it from has left all of his stuff on it :eek: I have the discs to do a fresh install but its asking for a password :( can i get around this?

2. manowar thread starter macrumors regular

manowar

3. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

resetting passwords on any Mac

You can take the unit to any apple store... make a Genius BAr Appt and ask them to please reset the PW on the machine. They have the disks (either DVD or HD version) you need to do that. If you want it Erased and reinstalled, they might even do that while you wait... ask nicely:) . If you want to have something to use at home... just buy the highest allowable OS that can go on the system... many G4's and G5s run Leopard and all intels run snow leopard (10.6) just be sure you meet the minimum system requirements (HArd Drive space, RAM, etc.)

Good Luck!

4. simsaladimbamba

As the OP was talking about a MacBook, the Mac has an Intel CPU, as the OP also has the Restore DVDs or another working installation DVD for Mac OS X, the OP can do what you described, though the caveat is, that the previous owner left a firmware password on the Mac, which makes it harder to reinstall Mac OS X.
    The link I pointed the OP to has steps to reset that password without the need to go to Apple, as it is done by removing the battery and RAM and doing a PRAM reset.

Other than that I don't really know what your point was.

5. manowar thread starter macrumors regular

manowar

I booted the Macbook from the Install disc and sorted it :)
    All's good thanks guys