Password on your iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Could you tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of setting a password on your iPhone to ask immediately or say hourly?

How do you have yours set and why?

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Mine is set to auto lock after 5 min. Enough time for me to pick it back up if I forget to do something. The advantages are the casual user can't see my phone contents. Understand that setting a passcode won't keep the determined out. Treat your iPhone like a personal computer, as it stores as much personal data.
    I don't see that many disadvantages. If you have data you need to protect the first step is to set a passcode. I have mine set to wipe the phone after 10 attempts as well. A hint I learned is to set a complex password, but stick with numbers. You won't be bothered with a keyboard to type it in and it still can be somewhat complex as well as simple/fast to type in.

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I dont have mine locked at all. The reason being: if someone steals your phone and sees that it is locked, they are going to take it home, restore it and youre screwed. If you keep it unlocked, they are more likely to play with it for a while and give you a chance to use Find My IPhone and find the ******.

4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I have mine set to lock after 5 minutes as well. It keeps prying eyes away from my personal information.
    I have a simple and easy to remember numeric password set. It takes just a few seconds for me to unlock the phone which I don't find to be a problem at all. It's less about hard core security and more about keeping private things private.

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

But if they knew anything the first thing they would do is disable the "Find My iPhone" functionality. I would rather have it locked and wiped after 10 attempts and them having to restore it which would wipe it of my data then have it unlocked.

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have to use a password because of the information I keep stored on their. I still think that you have enough time to use Find My iPhone if it gets stolen or lost. Honestly, I'd rather lost the phone and have my information kept safe than have let someone just go through it.

7. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't agree, not many people know that you have restore it.

By that logic they can easily disable Find my iPhone too.

8. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

if they don't know you have to restore, how are they going to know what Find my iPhone is???

9. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i don't have a password on mine bc it's too much of a pain to type in every time i wanna grab my phone. when I'm done looking at my phone i usually lock it myself and set it down or in my pocket. so that means if i grab my phone real quick to look at something i have to type my pw in again. I tried it for a little bit, but it got old real quick.

When you're in the car and need to make a quick phone call, you gotta type in ur pw again to be able to use the phone. too much trouble in general.

10. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I keep way too much personal info on my phone to even consider leaving it unlocked. Access to my email alone would give someone the ability to change any one of my online passwords.

And FYI - if you use voice dial (hold down the home button for a few seconds), you can dial without having to unlock.

Also - my corporate IT department requires us to password protect our phones if we want to use them for work purposes (like email).

But seriously, for as much personal info as we keep on our iPhones, you're playing Russian roulette by leaving it unlocked.

11. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

dude come on, it's 2011, you really think that is secure?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/10/iphone-password-hack_n_821314.html

12. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

then what's the point of a passcode if it can be insecure in the hands of a thief? lol

14. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for clarifying. I swore it was 1998 when I woke up.

I'm not really concerned with the "hacker" types getting into my iPhone. Obviously if someone REALLY wants to get into it, there are ways. That's probably less than 2% of all iPhone users out there.

I'm talking about the possibility of accidentally leaving my phone at a restaurant and having a total stranger pick it up. A simple passcode is all I need to keep them out. What are the odds of them being able to "hack" into my phone? Pretty low.

15. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The passcode will keep your data safe from the average Joe who knows nothing about phone hacking or computer forensic software. After 10 attempts my data will be safe(deleted) unless it is in possession of an expert. Bottom line my 8 digit numeric code serves me well.

16. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I don't use one. I have my iPhone on me at all times.

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If I had a choice, I wouldn't have a password cause I don't have anything sensitive on it and it's rarely in the hands of anyone else. But I can't do that because I have my college email on it which for some reason forces me to set a password so I have it set to one hour.

18. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I have a password, but it is set to an hour. Its the best of both worlds, I can use my phone without entering a password every time I pick it up. But if something happened to it then the password kicks in after 60 mins of not being used.

I wish there was a 30-minute option, that'd be perfect. But an hour seems alot better then like 4 hours or whatever the next option was.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

20. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I have mine set to 1 minute. I have a girlfriend who will search my phone better than the FBI. :mad:

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like it is time for a new girlfriend.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I second that. My wife doesn't even snoop on my nonsecure iPhone. There's nothing on there I wouldn't want her to see anyway but that's not the point ;)

23. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I would never date someone like that.

24. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Make a fake cheating email account or something that she would check, and when she calls you up on it show her it's yours and give her hell for checking your phone.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's a great idea. She'd think twice before snooping after that.