Password problem - Help !

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pedropeter, Mar 28, 2012.

1. pedropeter macrumors newbie

This morning I collected my repaired iMac 21.5 - after 3 months the hard drive had failed and was replaced.
    However, it won't accept my Password even though I know it's correct !
    I can't change the password using System Preferences - Accounts as it will not accept my old password !
    So, I need to use an Install disk to access info to enable a password change- apparently, the SAME disk that originally came with the machine. However, I am not sure which disk it is - I have a 10.5.6 disk labelled 2009 and a 10.6.4 disk labelled 2010.
    The machine says it's running 10.6.8, and I also bought a Snow Leopard Retail Disk 10.6.3.
    I have also read 'either use a disk which is closest to the current system' but also that unless I use the Exact Install disk version it can prevent me accessing my new account info'
    Any suggestions as to which disk I should use to set up new passwords etc ?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd contact whoever did the repair...OSX disks are machine group specific...If you use the wrong one you could be headed for issues.

3. pedropeter thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem is I'm in Spain at the moment for health reasons, and the repair was done in an authorised Spanish repairer and I can't speak much Spanish !

Will the machine not simply reject disks if it is not the original install disk ?
    I was told that by having the Retail disk 10.6.3 I could use it...

A possibility ?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Possibly, but you don't know what they have done...If you don't have critical data on the drive it's worth a try.

5. simsaladimbamba

If it is a 2010 Mac, it will need an OS version higher than 10.6.3 (which is on the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD), as 10.6.3 does not contain drivers for 2010/2011 hardware.

6. pedropeter thread starter macrumors newbie

OK guys - IF I fail to resolve the password issue even though I know it is correct - would a way of getting out of this as a last resort be to re-format the drive ?
    I know I would lose all but have it backed up anyway.
    Would this enable me to set up a new account and use the machine as I would like ?

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The rule about having the right disks still holds true I'm afraid...You might end up with nothing if you don't have the correct media...As posted above.

8. pedropeter thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - but if the disks I try are not the correct matched one - surely they won't boot up ?
    Is it a case of trial and error ?

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Your Mac SHOULD spit them out...If you are feeling brave have a go, but be prepared to lose your data...Good luck!..:)

10. pedropeter thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said, I can live with losing the data as it's backed up.

What worries me is that if it won't accept my correct log-in password which I know is 110% correct - there's no guarantee it will accept my admin. password is there ?

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you want to go the whole hog, format the drive and start from scratch....And hold your breath...

12. pedropeter thread starter macrumors newbie

Will work today on the available options - I have until April 5th when the 12 month warranty expires - my last option will be to return it to the repairers, and in my best written babelfish translation into Spanish, tell them the problem.
    Couldn't they achieve the new account, start up setting I want by using a system restore disk ?
    After all - the iMac is not useable without the password configuration.
    Any thoughts here most welcome.

13. pedropeter thread starter macrumors newbie

14. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

This might seem simple, but have you tried leaving the password field blank and hitting OK?

A lot of repair shops will simply reset your password to nothing if you don't give it to them or they cannot reach you to get it from you.