Password problem...more like memory problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by grapefruit84, Aug 15, 2007.

1. grapefruit84 macrumors newbie

Ok, what do you do when you forget your admin password??? It's totally not what I thought. The hint doesn't even help. I rarely need it but I was downloading something and it asked for it. Crap. What do I do? :(

2. gameguy3001 macrumors member

Try following this article from the Apple Support Site. If you still the disks that came with the computer, follow the section titled "Resetting the original administrator account password"

3. grapefruit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, totally screwed it up. I was reading in another thread (searched for password problems) and found where somebody said to reboot w/the start up disk. So I did that. Big mistake. Now EVERYTHING is gone!!! :(

I'm seriously about to cry, no pictures, no music, nothing. I'm ready to give the Mac away and get another PC again. I never did anything like this on that....

Is everything truly gone or can it be recovered. Please help before I have a melt down. Or ruin the key board by sobbing on it.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Ok I give it a shot. What exactly did you do a archive or a full reinstall of the OS

5. grapefruit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just put the disk in and let it do it's thing. So honestly, I have no clue. A headache, I do have that.

At first I thought I just archived, but now I don't know. Everything is different.

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well it doesn't really do it thing you have to chose. So if all you stuff is gone then you must have did a reinstall. My guess is you SOL

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

If you reinstalled the data is pretty much lost. Try doing spotlight search for something that you know you had, or seeing if something you used to have comes up.

Good luck to you.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Next time keep your admin password at the ready.

As for your old stuff, I think it's "gone" but not "gone." Ok, not a good explanation. See, harddrives don't "erase" the way you think. They usually mark off the area you designate as deleted, but don't write over the area until you have actual data to put there. So, hypothetically speaking, most of your stuff is still there. Getting it back however, is an entirely different matter. I don't know how to do it, but someone else might.