Password problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mediapile, May 1, 2008.

1. mediapile macrumors newbie

My Powerbook G4, running 10.4.8, was slowing down and I was having problems with Safari. Also, trying to run Software Update wasn't working. It would just sit there searching, never find anything. And I couldn't download Safari upgrades, OSX upgrades, etc. When I tried to run he Techtool program that came with Apple Care, I couldn't get the computer to boot off the disk. Just gave me a blue screen.

SO...I thought I would do an install and archive, but in a stupid move I accidentally used the 10.3 disk the computer came with instead of the 10.4 disk, and did and install before I realized what I was doing.

Now it boots up, but when it takes me to the login page, it won't recognize my passwords.

Any advice? I'm trying to avoid wiping it clean and re-installing everything. I have a lot of programs and half the disks are in storage somewhere.

Also, any ideas why the computer may have be slowing down before? I tried disk utility and it said the hardware was fine.

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Try booting from the Panther disc and changing the password there. I had this problem with Leopard and it worked. That should at least allow you to get your important stuff off of your computer before you wipe it and put Tiger back on.

3. mediapile thread starter macrumors newbie

is that something you can do from the startup disk? problem is I can't actually get into the computer without the passwords

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

When you are running the panther install disk, after you agree to the Software Licensel, you'll have a tool bar running across the top of the screen.

One of the options is utilities. Within Utilities, there is a Reset Password option.

Use this, then click on the volume where the user is located (usually Macintosh HD), find the user, type in the password, verify it, then click save.

Quit the installer, boot up, and enter the password you saved.