password prompt disable on startup

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Hello,

Ive been wanting to use a password on my mac, for when i leave the room, screensaver comes on which is good and it requires a password to access the desktop again, which is good.

but i want to disable the password for when i first turn the mac on, i want it to load straight into the desktop without requiring a password, is this possible ?

Many thanks,

Stuart

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
System Preferences / Security and Privacy / General.

Uncheck "Disable automatic login".
Thanks for this, this is definitely UNchecked already.

the problem I'm having is,

i want their to be a password when I'm away from from the computer, so when screensaver starts, when i return, a password is required.

but at the same time, when i turn the comp on from being shutdown all night, i want it to load straight into my user ...

is this possible do you think ?

many thanks in advance

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I just checked again that with this setup :

UNchecked : "Disable automatic login", and :

Checked : "Require password" = Immediatly after sleep or screen saver begins"

the behavior is exactly what you are after.

---> check "Disable automatic login", then uncheck it so that you will have to enter your password.

Other way : System Preferences / Users and groups / Options : "Automatic login", select your username.

Last edited:

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
I just checked again that with this setup :

UNchecked : "Disable automatic login", and :

Checked : "Require password" = Immediatly after sleep or screen saver begins"

the behavior is exactly what you are after.

---> check "Disable automatic login", then uncheck it so that you will have to enter your password.

Other way : System Preferences / Users and groups / Options : "Automatic login", select your username.

hi, sorry for late reply, i had to test what wed discussed - but alas, no joy :(

i have all the settings correctly, so i took a snap shot of my comp when it wakes from a scheduled startup ...

Attachments

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I have just tested again and it does work for me, even when it wakes from a scheduled startup.

I am on Mavericks 10.9.5

What OS are you running ?

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
hi, sorry for late reply, i had to test what wed discussed - but alas, no joy :(

i have all the settings correctly, so i took a snap shot of my comp when it wakes from a scheduled startup ...
Is FV enabled? If so, it will prevent you from automatic logins.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
what's the point of this setup, as it would offer zero security anyway? just disable all passwords, would be the same.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
what's the point of this setup, as it would offer zero security anyway? just disable all passwords, would be the same.
just stops prying eyes when i leave the room -

but would like instant access when i start up from boot.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
So a hard reset (on-off button) will reboot your Mac with NO password, useless! Just use the password on boot option and just type it. Best option.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.