Password protect applications?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by john.robe, Jun 4, 2010.

1. john.robe macrumors newbie

Hello, I work as a programmer with many young programmers that like to hack :mad:. So I was wondering, is there a way to lock my terminal, so if one of them tried to do something, they would have to enter my password.

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're referring to the Terminal app, unfortunately, no.

3. john.robe thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your best bet is to keep your system physically secure. If someone is technically adept, they can get around pretty much anything you can do, if they have physical access to your computer.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about putting Terminal into a password protected disk image (created via Disk Utility)?

What about creating a user account for your friends, where Terminal is not available from them?

Why do you give access to your computer after all?

6. john.robe thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really have a choice.

Although I could bring the laptop with me anywhere i go in the place i work, it would be very inconvenient. Also, it isn't exactly a workplace, so when the head programmer asks me to get, say, a keyboard. I would go get a keyboard, and leave my laptop. Thus giving access to my computer. But thanks anyway. I'm going to try to get a applescript to open every time terminal opens, that asks for a password, and disables terminal to open without it... Maybe that will work.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just lock your computer when you step away. Easiest way is from Keychain Access > Preferences > check "Show status in menu bar" Then from the menu bar item there's a lock screen option.

8. john.robe thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Question for the real gurus: Could Terminal be installed onto an account rather than in the HD/Applications/Utilities Folder?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

One could drag it out of Applications / Utilities into the account's home folder I guess.

I just did, I dragged Terminal to my Desktop and it vanished from the Utilities folder and I was able to open Terminal.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok then! (didn't want to try it myself!) OP can just create a place for it in the Home folder of a password-protected account. Is it that simple? What will happen when the OS is updated?