Password protect bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by butters149, Feb 25, 2010.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Is there a way to password protect bootcamp? This is so they can hold down Option key on bootup but need a password to boot to bootcamp, the reason I ask is becuase if I get the Undercover theft software it will only work in Mac.

Thanks,

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, you can always password protect Windows when it boots
    As far as password protecting the boot, I am not aware of a solution for that

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Regardless, I think the first thing that person would do anyway would boot into OS X. They will be unaware that Undercover would be installed and would just use it any normal way. Of course, if that person decides to reformat your computer before doing anything, then it doesn't matter what you do with it - you're out of luck.

4. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

of course I will put that firmware password thing so they cannot reformat it.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

which can be reset.

Is your goal to protect your data so someone who steals the machine cannot get to it? or just to make sure it can call home if it is stolen?

6. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

My goal is to have it traced so I can recover the laptop.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

If the thief is intelligent enough, he'll just pop out the old HD, throw it in the trash, pop a new one in and reinstall the software, or simply sell it as is, thus making recovery and tracing impossible and making your purchase of the software to trace it completely useless.

I would not waste my time.

8. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

so let's just say I want a visible deterrent, should I just get a kensington lock? Like having a club and pedal locks in a car.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If they want your laptop, they will take it regardless
    Best to have a current back up of your data and to have your sensitive documents on an encrypted .dmg on your computer

10. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I teach at a university and I also freelance on the side which means I take my MBP everywhere. I too am concerned about theft especially at the university where theft is very common.

There is only one solution, never take your eyes off of it. My MBP is with me at all times. I don't leave it in my office, a lab, the classroom...I just don't leave it alone.

I got a very nice bag for it that carries all my stuff and it goes everywhere with me.

If I stop at Best Buy or Walmart on the way home because I need something, the whole thing comes with me. They can scan or search me when I enter or leave. I just tell them I wasn't comfortable leaving my stuff in my car and people understand.

I guess I believe if your notebook is with you its harder for anybody to steal it.

Just MHO,
    P

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I agree about the "never let it out of your sight"

I think the most likely place is in the dorm rooms
    That is where I would be most concerned

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think it would just be easier to get it covered under insurance of some kind--if you're worried about the monetary loss. Unless you take your computer with you everywhere you go, there is always a chance someone will steal it somehow.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I got a plan specifically for my machine, but it's basically a get out of free jail card , because once I make a claim my zero deductible shoots up to 1000+ and im sure I'd see increased premiums .

But since it can be replaced I'm much , much more concerned about the amount of data my adversary (trucrypt lingo) has access to upon taking control of my machine which is more difficult than it should be really. (no whole disc encryption, crappy encryption in the os, etc)