Password Protect Dropbox folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ab1988, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ab1988 macrumors newbie

I have dropbox installed on my computer and would like to find a way to require a password to open the folder. I've seen various things online suggesting an encrypted dmg but that doesn't seem to be the proper solution in this case. I need it to be so that the folder remains as it is just with a password attached to it. Is there a command that can be applied to accomplish this in terminal or some kind of script?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

This question has been asked in the forums many many times, and the answer is still the same; only an encrypted DMG will work, but that doesn't work with dropbox.

3. ab1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

i came across this applescript on another forum that is supposed to be attached as a folder action but in the applescript editor it gives the error "expected end of line but found unknown token". Using a script sounds like a great idea but I'm not too familiar with applescript. If someone can see the error in the script that would be fantastic and i'll give it a try

on opening folder This_Folder
    tell application "Finder"

set dialogresult to display dialog "Please enter the password to access folder:

" & This_Folder & "" buttons {"Ok"} default button 1 default answer " "

set PWText to the text returned of dialog result

if not PWText = "Password here" then

close folder This_Folder

beep 3

display dialog "The password entered is incorrect" buttons {"Doh!"} default button 1

end if
    end tell
    end opening folder

thanks

4. SuperKirby, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

SuperKirby macrumors member

It's been 2.5 years, any update to this?

Does anyone know how to lock/password-protect a Dropbox folder for mac? I know you can convert to an image disk (dmg) but it is useless if I travel and use someone else's PC to access my files through dropbox.com.