Password protect folder or app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by red41, Jan 26, 2017.

1. red41 macrumors regular

Is there a way without jailbreaking to password protect an app or folder? My nephews and my daughter constantly want to play games on my iphone but I don't want them accessing things like my email or text messages. It would be nice to be able to use touch id to unlock certain folders but after googling a little bit it seems like the only way to do that is by jailbreaking.

2. deany, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

deany macrumors 68030

deany

I'm 99.99% certain you cant do what you want on your un JB iPhone.

Assuming standard size iPhone I'd recommend purchasing a

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011SLDC6I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485466060&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ipod+touch&dpPl=1&dpID=51yele+Kv0L&ref=plSrch

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

App store apps can run on this.
    Amazon have a 28 day return so if, in the unlikely event, apps lag, or 4-Inch screen not ideal return the iPod Touch.

Not a perfect solution but the best IMO

Cheers

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

deany is correct, there's no way to do this without jailbreaking. You can use Guided Access to lock them into an app, but you can't easily lock them out of certain apps or folders.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only if you JB currently.
    But would be great if something like this was a stock feature that you can use touch ID or pin/password to lock certain apps.

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Except that Apple won't do it.

Chalk up another wish that falls on deaf ears.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are many things in the past that were listed as something Apple would never do to iOS. Many of those things have happened over the last ten years. There's no way of knowing if this will be a feature of iOS 11 or not. But it is a possibility that Apple will one day include it. They've already added the ability to passcode Notes, they could make it selectable for all apps as well.