Password protect usb ports

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darrenryan07, Jul 18, 2010.

1. darrenryan07 macrumors newbie

darrenryan07

Hi All
    i have been looking for a USB port password protection software with no luck :(
    Basically i want a password prompt everytime a usb device is pluged into my mac....
    Anybody any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance if anyones got the info :)

2. kingthias macrumors member

I think that the best you could do would be password protecting individual external hard drives.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

And how would you password protect an individual external hard drive?

4. darrenryan07 thread starter macrumors newbie

darrenryan07

Thanks for the response .......Ye i have done that to my own external drives .....but its when other people stick there drive into my mac is what i want to prevent ...So still at square one :(

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Why are you letting people you don't trust use your computer? If you're that worried and for some reason can't keep them off your computer, use a Guest account so that anything they do will be deleted from the computer when they're done.

You're looking for technology to deal with your own problems, not your computers.

jW

6. darrenryan07 thread starter macrumors newbie

darrenryan07

Thanks for your response ........I dont "LET" people io dont trust use my mac....BUT i DO work in Thailand in an office full of people who are constantly copying files with out my permission .... now i lock it everytime i leave it ,but i quiet like the idea of a pssword been required everytime a usb device is connected ,..... hence the question ..only that .....:)

7. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

i think it's a legit question and i agree, you should be able to do that within the system preferences securitytab. Sorry to say i don't know of a program that does this, maybe it isn't possible to do as it isn't done already?

8. sparkz macrumors newbie

check out the following web page at Apple.

http://www.apple.com/support/security/guides/

Depending on which OS you are using, look for the Security Configuration guides. For version 10.5 look at page 48 and for 10.6 look at page 51.

Both detail how you can remove the USB drivers, so the next time you boot up your machine they can not use the usb ports. You could relocate this file using a bash shell script, or an applescript or do it manually.

Putting the file back and rebooting would reenable the usb ports again.

At least it puts you in the right direction. Hope it helps.

Sparkz