password-protected file access

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smartalic34, Sep 4, 2008.

1. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I am on a college network, and I would like to be able to access my Home directory and folders from other computers on campus (all are on the campus network). I'd like the access to my mac to be password protected... how do I go about doing this?

on my finder sidebar, other macs are showing up and I can connect to them with no password needed... and I'd like to avoid that.

any help is greatly appreciated.

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Are you sure that you can not only connect, but also actually see (not to mention access) folders and files on that other macs? Normally, there's only one folder where you can put files into to transfer them, but if I am correct you cannot even access that folder for reading...

3. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I was able to access a Drop Box shared folder on the few I tried.

I'm okay with people seeing my mac, but how can I go about setting up remote access to my Home folder? is there any way to do this?

4. flir67 macrumors 6502

go into system preferences, sharing and change it their. you could use a program like vnc, to log into your computer giving that other computers on campus are mac's. just go to desktop once you set up the vnc under sharing, and choose "go" from the menu and connect to server. then type in vnc:// and your webaddress it says unders sharing....

on a side note are you trying to access files on your mac from another computer, or just the whole machine?

good luck.

5. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

If you want to just be able to copy/move files, then you could do essentially the same thing but enable remote login (ssh).
    Then you can ssh directly into the Mac with your userid/password, you can also access files with a sftp (ftp over ssh) client. I use FileZilla on Mac and Linux.

6. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

yes all I need to do is be able to access (aka copy) files from my mac onto other locations on campus.

can I do vnc and ssh without installing software on campus computers? I dont need to access other computers from my mac... just a one-way access to my mac when I'm at other locations on campus...

7. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

bump... so, is there any way to connect to my mac from other computers on campus without installing software onto the campus computers?