Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Is there any way to password protect a folder in Dreamweaver? I'm designing a site for a client and dropping it in a folder on their server so they can preview it. I would like to have them have to enter a password to get into that folder.

Is there any way of doing that?

Thanks!

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
what are you dumping on their server? html's??

most likely you wont be able to do anything if its their machine, you could put them in a zip and password protect that.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
what are you dumping on their server? html's??

most likely you wont be able to do anything if its their machine, you could put them in a zip and password protect that.

I have full access to their server and all of the files. I'm building the new site on my computer, and am loading it through ftp to their server. In the server I have a 'newsite' folder which contains all of the html and css for the site i'm working on. when i'm finished, i will trade out the old files with the new files.

it's not a big deal if it's password protected or not, but i thought it would be nice to have an official, secure beta test site.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Generally I've done password protection with Apache with the httpd.conf file so it's at the server level. You could also use PHP and have a login screen for them to proceed from. Depends on how secure you want things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.