Password protected/secure USB stick... that also opens on windows!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thecounthahaha, Oct 4, 2015.

1. thecounthahaha macrumors regular

Hi,

Due to some data protection laws my work has brought in, I'm in need of a password protected and secure USB stick that I can use on my home mac, but also on my work windows computer. The files themselves are just word docs/jpegs/movs/usual files, but if it was to be lost it needs to be that noone can open it without my password.

They've given us a USB stick with password protection on it, that works on the windows laptop, but when I plug it into my mac it resets it and asks me to choose a password which is then not recognisable on the windows machine.

Is this possible? It doesn't *have* to be a stick, I could use a small HDD instead, but I can't keep using my unprotected USB stick, and I can't switch to windows only or mac only.

Is there anything I can buy/do?!

If possible, I'd also like a way of backing up the stick but I'm not sure how. I currently clone it to my mac and that gets a further time machine backup but I can't keep doing that now.

Thanks very much!

2. kschendel macrumors 6502a

You might want to check out the Kanguru Defender series encrypted USB sticks. They work on Windows, Mac, and (with a bit of fiddling) Linux.

3. thecounthahaha thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Very interesting. Do they work out the bag so to speak with no software needed on any computer? Have you used them yourself?