Password Protecting a Shared External HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KingDeadDuck, Dec 7, 2008.

1. KingDeadDuck macrumors newbie

Does anybody know how to share an external hdd and limit the number of users that have access to it?? Whenever I add it as a shared folder, my only two options for "everyone" are "read and write" and "read only".

This is very frustrating, as I have a iMac g5 hooked up to a 750 gb mybook over usb, and I like being able to access that hdd from my laptop (aluminum macbook). The only issue is I'm on a college campus, and within a few days of sharing it, people inevitably start pulling my files, which makes my iMac incredibly unresponsive, to the point of vlc being unable to play files off of it without lagging. Secondly, our school is fairly lax about copyright laws, but I feel as if allowing everybody to download my music, dvd rips, and computer game images might set off some flags.

I know sharepoints is no longer supported, so I was wondering if there are any third party/terminal tricks, or if I have to do it in a more clever fashion.

Any help would be appreciated, as I've spent hours crawling forums trying to find this answer.

I understand I can share each folder individually off of my hdd and set access to "none", but I am trying to share the root so I don't have to deal with this fiasco every time I rename a folder/make a new one.

2. durija macrumors 6502

Create a sparseimage with disk utility and put it on the external. Don't forget the password. There is no recovery. Dump everything into the sparseimage.