Password Protecting Folders App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robanga, Mar 22, 2008.

1. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I've done a bit of searching here and googling and it looks like this is not an easy thing. I have seen "Secret Folder".

Anyone aware of something that creates a folder that can simply be protected?

I am also not keen on the solution that creates a disk, mounts it etc and then allows you to protect it.

I would rather not do separate accounts etc either.

Any other ideas for me? Thanks.

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Can't you just do it through the Finder's permissions? Do a Get Info on the folder. At the bottom of that window in the section called "sharing and permissions" (turn the triangle down if it isn't already). Click the lock in the bottom right, type in your password when prompted. Change the permissions on all groups to "no access" or "write only (drop box)" and close the get info window.

Done.

Now when anyone tries to open it they'll get an error. To open it again do the same but change the permissions on your user name to "read and write."

Someone can still monkey around with the folder such as dropping files into it or trashing the folder altogether, but they can't see or open any files that are inside the folder.

3. robanga thread starter macrumors 68000

robanga

That is an option I had not considered. Thanks.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I hope I haven't misunderstood you but why not use Disk Utility and create a new image from there. They can be almost any size, encrypted and password protected. You can "store" whatever you require in these images.

5. MacPreddy macrumors newbie

Alternatively, you may wanna try Abracadabra. It's a Dashboard widget and this nifty lil' widget will hide whatever folders or files you want by a mere drag and drop.

You can view here for more info.

Hope it helps ;)

6. robanga thread starter macrumors 68000

robanga

This widget is great! Thanks for the pointer.

7. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

re: Widget

All it does is put a . before the file name so that finder ignores it. It is extremely easy to find the files and is no way secure.

Also

Does sound very good at all, it is easy to find them yourself but still not the best solution.

10. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi