Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I've done a bit of searching here and googling and it looks like this is not an easy thing. I have seen "Secret Folder".

Anyone aware of something that creates a folder that can simply be protected?

I am also not keen on the solution that creates a disk, mounts it etc and then allows you to protect it.

I would rather not do separate accounts etc either.

Any other ideas for me? Thanks.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Can't you just do it through the Finder's permissions? Do a Get Info on the folder. At the bottom of that window in the section called "sharing and permissions" (turn the triangle down if it isn't already). Click the lock in the bottom right, type in your password when prompted. Change the permissions on all groups to "no access" or "write only (drop box)" and close the get info window.

Done.

Now when anyone tries to open it they'll get an error. To open it again do the same but change the permissions on your user name to "read and write."

Someone can still monkey around with the folder such as dropping files into it or trashing the folder altogether, but they can't see or open any files that are inside the folder.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I hope I haven't misunderstood you but why not use Disk Utility and create a new image from there. They can be almost any size, encrypted and password protected. You can "store" whatever you require in these images.

MacPreddy

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Singapore
Alternatively, you may wanna try Abracadabra. It's a Dashboard widget and this nifty lil' widget will hide whatever folders or files you want by a mere drag and drop.

You can view here for more info.

Hope it helps ;)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
re: Widget

All it does is put a . before the file name so that finder ignores it. It is extremely easy to find the files and is no way secure.

Also

*Note that Abracadabra merely remembers the paths to files. If you inadvertently alter the path to a hidden file by moving its parent directories, the magic will be lost and the file will not reappear.

Does sound very good at all, it is easy to find them yourself but still not the best solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.