password protection for time machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by john2006wright, Sep 14, 2009.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    I have a time machine back up of my mac on an external hard drive. If this HD was stolen/lost would an avergae joe be able to access the data. i.e if it was plugged into another computer would all my files be accessible.

I use a password to login to my admin account and i'm the only user account.

Do i need to add some protection to my external? I realise that a clever mac user could get around any protection.

Thanks,
    John

2. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

3. cptbigt macrumors newbie

As long as the person who has got your hard drive had a computer that can read the format of the drive correctly, then yeah, they could simply plug it in and browse through your files/folders as if it was just an ordinary storage disk.

I'm not entirely sure if your capable of putting some form of protection, not system wise anyway.

4. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

could i create an encypted disk image and then direct time machine to that? I suppose I would have to type a password each time that time machine backs up?

I just realised that its pointless having a password on my computer if my time machine back up external hard drive is sitting beside it and is completly unprotected.

thanks,
    john