Password Protection stops after new alerts

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Blackadder4th, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Blackadder4th macrumors newbie

This morning I was running late and did not type in the password on my Apple Watch. On my way to work I started getting alerts for Gmails from a co-worker and was able to access the mails. What surprised me the most was that all the functionality of the watch became available including ApplePay.

I thought I must have entered my password half asleep but hadn't remembered doing so, so I tried an experiment. Removed the watch and replaced. Blue lock icon appeared. so far so good. After a half hour or so the same thing happened. blue lock was replaced by red dot and I was able to access all the functions of the watch. This happened to anyone else?

2. cloudspy macrumors member

Did you unlock your phone between the time you put it on and received the notification?

3. Blackadder4th thread starter macrumors newbie

I did. Thanks for that. I guess I didn't realize unlocking the phone unlocked the watch as well. Now I know that, it makes me glad I definitely chose not to add any CC info to Apple Pay for AppleWatch. Stolen watch, unlock phone to report stolen watch/credit cards meanwhile some thief close by is stocking up their living room with new gear. Love Apple Pay on my iphone, but worried about security on the watch.

4. rfbandit macrumors regular

rfbandit

It's low energy Bluetooth. I highly doubt a thief would hang out within 30 feet of you right after stealing your Apple Watch. If you're super concerned, and someone happens to steal your watch, just use Control Center to turn off Bluetooth before you unlock your phone to report the stolen watch. Problem solved.

5. Alith macrumors 6502

You have to switch this on during the setup process so you must have agreed to it at some point. It can be switched off though.

6. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

You can also turn off the unlock with iPhone feature.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

This. It gives you the option during initial setup, but you can find it in apple watch app---passcode--unlock with iPhone.

In other words, a thief would have to steal your watch, put it on, and you unlock your phone at the same time while he is still in range.

8. parallax33 macrumors regular

Then make hundreds of purchases while still within 30ft :D

9. Blackadder4th thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. There's a lot to learn about new toys....that's why I love forums like these. I just switched off "Unlock with iphone." I'm more than happy to type in a passcode everytime I put on my watch..(and force someone to guess my 10 digit passcode, if they want to use my info stored on it.) I also switched on erase data after 10 attempts!:)

I guess I'm a little more paranoid about security than the average Joe.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to the discussion