Password recovery question (WEP)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by one1, Oct 5, 2007.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

Hi. Let me explain my quandary.

Many moons ago I bought a 17" PB and a new router (dlink). I set it up on WEP and let it be. Well many yrs later I now want to add my iPhone to the router, but alas I have no clue what that WEP password was many years ago. I remember it took me the better part of 2 days to get everything set up and I'd rather pull a few teeth than have to go through it again, so I am very unwilling to do a hard reset on my router and re-run the installation on everything while pulling my hair out for the next 2 days.

I simply want to extract my routers password from my 17" PB somehow and was hoping someone could tell me how to do it via command line in terminal, or maybe even GUI if possible, but the keychain asks for the same password I don't have to begin with to view the password (how helpful is that?).

Any ideas on recovering the WEP password to my router from my book?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Applications->Utilities->Keychain Access

Find your wireless network name on the list, double click, select show password, enter your user password.

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you, but therein lies the problem I mentioned before:

I used the same password for everything when I set this up. :eek: I haven't had to do anything to this laptop in forever (this includes updates) because I used my iBook for everything, the PB stays at home since it is too big to tote around and I have a desktop I use daily so this PB really doesn't have much use. The desktop isn't on the router, and the iBook doesn't get used here so I never need the password.

I have to go about this through the back door somehow. In a day or two I will give up and have to reset the router and start all over because I want to use my iPhone here on wifi.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, keychain needs your mac password, not your WEP password. The password for your mac user account - you know, the same one you use when you install software.

5. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you again , but therein lies the same problem as I said I used the same password for everything. I just finished saying I do not update this computer nor install software since it is rarely used. :)

Thanks for trying. :)

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And therein lies our problem...

You are asking how to crack a Keychain when you don't have the password.

Which is kinda just what a criminal would want to ask if they'd stolen a laptop and wanted to get into the owners' bank accounts etc.

If it were possible to do so, I don't think it would be ethical to say on the forum.

The cost to you for forgetting the password is the hard router reset and configuration. Sucks, but sorry.

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Plus, I would consider not knowing your mac password to be far more of a problem for you that not knowing your WEP password.

8. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am least worried about ethics and most worried about having to go through 2 days of torture setting this back up because the Dlink router had all kinds of complications meshing with the book when I first did it.

I wish I remembered the password as clearly as I remember the pain of trying to make it work! I am auto logged in at root so I don't have to type the password in, however I AM logged in as root so I should be able to go in and get it if someone will be kind enough to tell me how. I'm not asking how to get into my book, I am in automatically. I want my darn router password.

If I ever need to do anything with the book I'll stick my tiger disk back in and load a fresh copy. Not a big deal.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think if you boot your mac from the setup disks you can reset your user password, once you do that you can use your new user password in keychain to recover your WEP password

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I am sure your intentions are pure.

However what I was gently trying to say is that to supply a password-less keychain crack, or to direct you to a site that did so, is (according to my reading at least) against MacRumors rules, and would supply aid and assistance to people who lack your moral upstandingness (this being a public forum and all).

11. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, well.......... Doesn't look like I am going anywhere with this anyway via Terminal (as seen below) so I guess I will continue to research for a day, then end up resetting the router. :mad:

I know the password in tiger is shadowed, but since I have windows sharing enabled I may be able to see the password using the LANMAN. If not, I'll reset the darn router. :cool:

By the way thanks for all your support :) Much appreciated for the responses :)