Password requirement for application installations? (and some other newbie questions)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pushover486, Jun 27, 2014.

1. pushover486 macrumors newbie

Hello

I am a PC/Linux user for very long time and I have just got my new Mac. I am trying to understand some points...

I set up an account during first boot. I assume that this is an administrator account.

• I want to make entering password obligatory -even for me- before installing any application, especially anything potentially malware/spyware/surveillance apps. How can I do that? If such password can be different than login password, it would be even better.
    • Do I need an antivirus/firewall/antispyware software? If yes, can you suggest me one?
    • I want to be able to return my Mac to its clean status if I mess things up in the future. I made a Time Machine backup after first run. Is this an enough solution for this? Should I get a drive image backup in case I may need reinstall operating system?
    • Any other advice for me for security and privacy?

Thank you in advance!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The account that is first set up during the install process will be by default be an administrator. Even so, you will get promoted to install software or do other actions as needed, since this part of OS X's security.

OS X comes with a firewall, enable that if you wish, though you won't need to worry about installing antivirus software as long as you practice safe computing habits.

Hitting CMD-R when booting up, will allow you to get back to factory conditions if you wish to do that.

Welcome to the Mac family and enjoy :)

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

In addition to your Time Machine backup I'd recommend an additional backup on another drive using either Carbon Copy Clone or Superdupa.
    This will create a bootable drive you can work with if the worst happens. Also having an additional backup is always a good idea.
    As above antivirus isn't required on a Mac. I converted back in 2012 and have had no issues at all. On a Mac you just spend more time using your machine, and less time maintaining it.
    Enjoy:)