Password Reset Utlility Question - Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Meylis, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Meylis macrumors newbie

Hi Everybody!
    So here is the problem. I left my Macbook Air alone and someone has messed around with it. He or she (most likely he) has changed the Admin Password. Also, you know when you enter cmd + R at the startup and go to Password Reset Utitlity. Well he put some password there too. Because what i was going to do is I was going to reinstall the OSX through recovery partition, but now I can't do that either. I have no access to my laptop at all.

I tried contacting Apple through the phone as we don't have Apple store here in Rochester, MN. They gave me a address of the apple certified store in rochester and told me that they could reset it for free. However when I went there they said it was going to cost me 60$. Does anyone know how to fix this? Please, I miss my mac so much and I really cannot afford to spend $60 on this. :(

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

3. Meylis thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I can't. I cannot log into Admin account nor recovery partition ( cmd + r )

4. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Are you talking about the efi password?
    Press and hold the option key, does it ask for password here?

If yes, then those can be real difficult to get pass without help from Apple.
    You will need to prove you are the owner.
    Not many options available to get past it especially if the password is more than four characters long. All other options will cost more than $60 in the end.
    Time to take a drive to the Mpls area and visit an Apple store
    btw: I'm in the coon rapids area of MN ;)

5. Meylis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, let me try the store at Apache Mall again and see if I can make a deal with them.:D

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Best of luck. And FWIW - I'm just over the river in Hudson, Wi. :)

7. mpantone, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

This is not a credible story.

In order to change a Mac admin user's password to a new one, you must enter the old one first, followed by the new password twice. This is similar to most other password update procedures.

Some random schmuck can't change your admin password without knowing the old one.

My guess is that you didn't remember your own admin password, nor did you write it down. I suggest you write down your next password on a piece of paper and keep it in a safe place.

Also, you should configure your computer to allow Apple ID to reset the password. Of course, you will need to remember your Apple ID password as well, so you should write that one down too.

When you get access of your machine, set up a password-protected screensaver to lock your screen immediately, and set up a "hot corner" to turn on your screensaver (I use the lower left corner).

Lastly, only a fool would leave his/her computer unattended and unprotected within easy reach of untrustworthy people, picking a weak password, and/or letting someone else see the password.

Good luck.

8. Meylis thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously dude, how is your answer usefull? Don't you have anything else to do other than trying to look smart when people ask for help. Gosh I hate people like you in the forums.

I'm new to Mac and all of the roommates have access to the general computer. Also using faulty language only shows your foolishness and unprofessionalism.

Guys can we please stick to the subject. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get your hands on another Mac and make a Mavericks boot USB Flash. While you're at it figure out a backup solution, Time Machine is very good.

10. Meylis thread starter macrumors newbie

It won't let met choose the drive at startup without the password

11. Consultant, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It seems that

1. You didn't set a password, or set an insecure password. In that case whoever did this will probably do the same to you if you got a PC. It has nothing to do with the Mac. If this is the case, go to Apple Store (for free if you are under warranty) or pay the $60 as a learning experience.

2. Or you bought a stolen computer. In that case we can't help you bypass the security settings on it.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If it's the EFI that's been password protected not much you can do on your own. If it's the drive just erase it.

13. Meylis thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not bought a stolen computer. It was bought as brand new in August, 2013 in Chicago on a one-day trip. Whoever doubts in that I can send you my ID and the details of the laptop.

If you do not know the answer, just say it. Because again you're already making the messed up situation worse.

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Make an Apple Genius appointment and have them reset it. They'll have you on file.

15. mpantone macrumors 6502

Irrelevant.

Windows PCs are the same way. If you want to change the admin password, you need to type the existing password, plus the new one twice.

Again, your tale is not believable.

Note that you can create limited-access guest accounts for your computer.

If you gave your roommates your login/password (and you are the administrator), well, you gave them the admin password.

You have curiously omitted key details in your retelling of the story. Your ongoing responses only justify that suspicion.

You will garner more helpful responses once you cough up the real story. Until then, enjoy random responses. You are not taking ownership of your errors.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If no efi password is set in the first place then getting past the osx login is simple.

17. blck macrumors newbie

mpantone, your answers are so ridiculous you made me create a profile on MacRumors to answer you...
    Your statement is NOT true. Anyone can reset and change the admin password of any Mac computer if they pshysical access to the machine, and there are no EFI (also called firmware) password on it.
    It's very simple done via the resetpassword command in Terminal.app when booted from the Recovery partition.

OP:
    Since your're now not allowed to boot when holding CMD+R keys, it indicates that the one who altered your computers settings indeed changed your computers admin password AND has put on an EFI password. It's not possible to reset that yourself on Macs newer than 2011. It has to be reset by someone with access to GSX - the only one who has that are Authorized Service Providers, so you'll need to contact one of them.

Unless it's an actual Apple Store, they'll take a fee for it - that's the way things are :)

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to clarify, when you try to command-r boot to recovery, are you getting this screen? If you are someone has set an EFI (firmware) password on your machine and you will not be able to fix this yourself. You will need to take it to an Apple repair center and prove ownership, and they can reset it for you.

[​IMG]

Command-r boot to recovery then go to Terminal and type "resetpassword" and follow the prompts to create a new admin password. No password is needed to do this. Then go to the Utilities menu while still in recovery and select the EFI password utility and select a password for that. Still no admin password required.

19. Meylis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I'll do that. Could you also explain this to mpatone if you have time please :). Actually, don't bother. He seems delusional.:eek:

20. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Definitely this.