Password Storage Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speekez, Jan 10, 2008.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

Hello

I'm wondering if there's a little utility, maybe something free and basic, people like using for password storage -- somewhere to store passwords for accounts, forums, etc. All too often I forget them and need to reset them. I used to just keep a Word doc of them, but wondering about other options....

Cheers

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Such an app isn't too hard to find. :D;)

Have a look in the Applications/Utilities folder for Keychain Access.

3. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

well i dont know about free but if your willing to pay 30 bucks get 1password i use it and its great it generates strong passwords and really easy to export or import its great :D

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Or use the link to MacHeist at the top of the page, pay another $19 and get another 10 apps as well as 1password.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well worth it for that pack. I paid $30 for 1Password about a year ago and couldn't imagine Mac life without it now. I really rely on it a lot and it is fantastic for automating forms and securely storing passwords.

Since I already purchased some of the apps I am going to get the bundle if it looks like Pixelmator is going to get unlocked.

6. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

1password is amazing. I have it and it is a great password utility.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

1PW just never ceases to pi$$ me off. It's the best thing available in that category for a Mac, but on the Windows side I use AI Roboform, which kicks 1PW all over, without continually asking for Keychain access, adding useless webforms conflicting with the current one, and manages to handle multi-layered website authentication (Authenticate at a site's top page, then provide additional authentication one layer down, which many financial institutions are doing now), which 1PW just doesn't seem to understand.

8. tadekk macrumors newbie

Well, you can make 1Password remember your Keychain password, so that's one thing out of the box. As to the multi-layer thing I agree it's a bit of a bummer, but the development team is really responsive and they say they are working on t as we speak :D Alternatively you can have two webfoms saved for each of the layers and recall them separately...

I don't understand this bit though: "adding useless webforms conflicting with the current one" What do you mean buy that? If it's the autosave function you can turn it off as well...

9. scoldedbard macrumors newbie

myWallet

There's also myWallet. Which acts like a more soup'd up version of Windows Cardfile. Where you can just store passwords and then make a password for the app so no one can access it. Seems to be a good little password storage app.