Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgcondo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I just got this Mac Pro .. used/ refurbed, but without some of the original installed options. AND without any OS install or recover media. I was told "hey you'll never use that stuff anyhow!!" But now.... trying to install the application that was the whole reason for purchasing this Pro... I am up against a pre-existing user Name: with an unknown Password: IS there some advice to prevent this nightmare freom becoming a dead horse ? So far the only faint glimmer of hope is the original Password "hint" . which is cryptic at best and the first 50 or so tries havent been successful and the ideas are getting less likely!!!! Any Ideas???? pls??

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just got this Mac Pro .. used/ refurbed, but without some of the original installed options. AND without any OS install or recover media. I was told "hey you'll never use that stuff anyhow!!" But now.... trying to install the application that was the whole reason for purchasing this Pro... I am up against a pre-existing user Name: with an unknown Password: IS there some advice to prevent this nightmare freom becoming a dead horse ? So far the only faint glimmer of hope is the original Password "hint" . which is cryptic at best and the first 50 or so tries havent been successful and the ideas are getting less likely!!!! Any Ideas???? pls??

Just follow this to reset the admin password. Then once you have done that login to the account and go to System Prefs and under Users & Groups go in there and add a new admin account in your name. Now logout of the old account and login to the new account and go back to Users & Groups and delete the old account and user data.

What year model Pro is this and what OS version are you on? If it will run Mavericks, you might want to "purchase" the free Mavericks upgrade in the App Store under your AppleID in case you need to reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.