passwords in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jacksoncmc835, Aug 30, 2012.

1. jacksoncmc835 macrumors member

Ever since I have upgraded to Os Mountain lion I have been having a problem getting https web pages to save my login information. I've have tried to manually added the websites to my keychain access which has work in past versions of os but for some reason will not work for me know. In the preference of safari it list sights that it has saved passwords for but i cant find any way to manually add these type of pages

Any thoughts to a solution?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. jacksoncmc835 thread starter macrumors member

Ive looked in to the program before and I don't want to spend 50 dollars .

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

This. 1Password was probably the single best app purchase I have made. Now, I can have extraordinarily secure passwords and not have to worry about remembering them. It was money well spent.

5. jacksoncmc835 thread starter macrumors member

True that, I'd still like to find an alternative, has anyone found a fix for this.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Unless you really prefer Safari for some reason why not use a different browser, such as Google Chrome?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might try Lastpass. It is free.

Dies this happen on all sites, or just some?

8. jacksoncmc835 thread starter macrumors member

It only happens on certain sites like my school email and blackboard websites. From my searching it makes it sound like the web page is coded to not allow this. Which is weird because I never had this problem in snow lepord only when i upgrade to lion and m. Lion has this been a problem.

I haven't had any problems with safari that's the main reason I still use it.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does vary by web site. Some sites I use will save the PW in Safari no problem.... others won't save the username or password either one. I just switched to Verizon for an iPhone 5 and their site won't remember my username or password.

10. jacksoncmc835 thread starter macrumors member

Ya its just weird that its set up like that, I'm currently running trial of 1password. I see why people like it but still can't justify spending the 50 bucks on it

11. petisjioweelsha macrumors member

Some web pages are indeed specifically designed to prevent the login info from being stored by the browser.
    I have used a Safari extension called Autocomplete which makes Safari ignore the web page code that prevents the browser from saving the login info. I found that it worked well on almost all pages that have the username and password fields on the same page. There were a couple of sites that still couldn't seem to save the info.

I have only used it on Snow Leopard and Safari 5.x, so I'm not sure if it still works with Safari 6.x

As others have mentioned LastPasshttp://www.lastpass.com is a decent Password Manager/form filler that can save passwords for these types of sites.