Passwords

SJK123

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2006
I use a win program called Password Agent. Basically it saves all my user names and passwords and it can open the corresponding web site and “auto-fill” the user name and password for you. Does anyone know of a similar Mac solution?

P.S. I am about to set up a new (refurb) iMac.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well OS X has the "Keychain' which stores your information and what not, in Safari or whatever browser you use you can have it store your info to the keychain and use auto-fill. other apps can use it too.

obrien234

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
Brighton, MI
Yeah, If you go under Preferences in Safari. There's a tab for AutoFill (I think that what its called). Just check the box next to user names and passwords.

SJK123

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2006
Great, but does the keychain have the ability to look at your list of passwords? Password Agent also lets you keep some notes. It is like a small database program. I guess I could always use excel if there isn't this type of program for Mac's.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
SJK123 said:
Great, but does the keychain have the ability to look at your list of passwords? Password Agent also lets you keep some notes. It is like a small database program. I guess I could always use excel if there isn't this type of program for Mac's.
i'm not on my mac, so i can't check... but yes you can open up the application and view your passwords through it without a problem. i'm not sure how detailed it is though i'll check when i get home if no one else has responded by then.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes, using the Applications->Utilities->Keychain Access app, you can see all passwords as well as add comments. However, by default, passwords aren't shown and you need to authenticate before viewing them one at a time. This, however, is much safer, and you can still get at the passwords you want to see.

SJK123

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2006
Thanks for the responses. If it is like (just found it) Opera’s “wand” program it will work just fine. I can’t wait to get started.