Passwords

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by criscris, Jul 31, 2008.

1. criscris macrumors member

Can anyone assist me in locating passwords on the iPhone? I see only a basic phone lock when your phone is turned on. I'm not seeing any passwords for locking specific areas of my phone. Why Apple would include features like visual voicemail which doesn't require any dialing or logging into your voicemail, YET no way to lock it is beyond me. It would be nice if I could also locate a password lock for things like my contact list, which contains over 100 friends at this point. Anyone with any info would be appreciated. Also, if there are, as I assume, no locks on this phone, are there any other options to help me? I'm so disappointed in this phone, as it seems there are many features lacking. Especially the simplest features. I'm very frustrated. Thanks.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

The parental controls also restrict the use of certain areas of the iPhone.

Settings > General > Restrictions

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've never seen a phone that does offer that level of password protection - I would imagine it would be incredibly frustrating to have that sort of password locking

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Unless you are transmitting top secret information, what on god's earth do you need that level of security for? Put a lock at the point of unlocking the phone and every thing's covered. Unless you work for the government and have the iPhone for corporate use they have the ability to remotely wipe the iPhone if it is lost or stolen. They have done more than enough with security.

Pass-codes on everything would piss most people off including me. They would be an inconvenience and for those who need the protection Apple has given them that ability to protect in the top secret environment.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You can always use the standard passcode lock that locks the entire phone. I have yet to use a phone that allows me to lock anything beyond the voicemail, if you want that much protection, then lock the entire phone. I do think that they should make it an option though to lock voicemail, at least an option, that would help some.

7. criscris thread starter macrumors member

Haha. I wasn't trying to cover up anything top secret but recently I had a motorola for example, and my phonebook could be locked. Not a big deal to add such a simple feature. Maybe someones using my phone, the lock is off and my visual voicemail is wide open. Again, this is such a simple feature, and I expected a bit more out of the iPhone. The only lock is right when you turn it on. Kinda silly.

8. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

And make sure that the thiefs can't see you press in your 4 digit code just before they steal it.

9. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

If you don't trust them to see, or call, someone in your contacts, or anything else on your phone..... well, just don't lend them your phone.

10. cambridge1807 macrumors member

I think having more than the password to lock the phone is overkill. Imagine scrolling through all the apps you want to have locked, wouldn't you think it'll get annoying to enter a password each time? I mean, if you have access to unlock the phone in the first place, that should be enough to access the entire phone and its contents. And if you don't want some people to look through your phonebook, then don't let them use your phone in the first place. I'm glad Apple only made 1 password lock, that should be sufficient for most users.

11. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

ye, i've seen loads of phones where you could password protect different areas of the phone. most people who i've seen do it password their messages, so no starts browsing through private messages and what not