Past availability of upgraded models at retail on launch day?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LinMac, Oct 10, 2008.

1. LinMac macrumors 65816

I'm having a bit of trouble finding this specific information.

The last refresh with the new upgraded processors in February had the upgraded units available at launch, but were these just the base models?

Are upgrades such as the 7200rpm hard drive available at retail (in limited quantities of course)?

Edit:

Second question to fit into the same thread. Is it even remotely likely that the ram used by the new Macbook Pros will be different than the ram used in the current generation? I'm thinking about ordering some ram ahead of time.

2. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I wouldn't chance ordering any unless your are prepared to just send it back. I think the odds of it being different are a little to high to pre order but that just me..

3. LinMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I went ahead and ordered it from data memory systems. I've had very good luck with them and I doubt I'll have any problems with returning the chips if they aren't compatible.

4. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

i used to work at apple retail. usually new computers were not available same day in the store. next, hard drives were NOT upgrade in the store ever. if we carried a custom model it depended.

5. LinMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Let me try this another way.

The new Macbook Pros could have certain higher end BTO options. The perfect example of this on current generation 15" models is the 7200rpm hard drive and on the current generation 17" it would be the high definition screen.

I am curious about launch day or next day availability of "upgraded" or non-standard models at Apple retail if the standard/base models are available at retail.

Did they/do they sell 7200rpm models of the 15" Macbook Pro at Apple retail stores? Did they do that at launch or was it added later? :)