Past Port for Mac - Hard Drive Question!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squirrelflight, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Squirrelflight macrumors regular

So I've never used mine after owning it for 2 years (I know right!) So I basically just went to devices, clicked Macintosh HD, and copied Applications, Library, System, User Guides and and Information, Users, and Installations log.

I'm asking because my warranty is still up and going to let Best Buy clean my computer. They'll send it off and it'll be gone for a week. Along with cleaning the fans they said they likely will wipe the computer. o_O SO if I put all of that on the harddrive, will I be able to bring it all back? I'm so slow on stuff like this. I just use memory sticks for my writing, I've never tried to back up the whole thing before.

I have so many files but not sure what to delete, it all seems useful. But I suppose I can pick and choose what I bring back, as wouldn't bringing back everything kinda defeat the purpose of memory wiping it?

Just wanna know if anyone has a how-to guide about the Passport for Mac Hard drive.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Macs have a backup utility built in. Plug in an external HDD with sufficient capacity and enable time machine. Once the backup finishes, you'll be able to restore your computer and settings using the backup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

3. rMacBookPro macrumors member

Can you explain a bit clearer? All I understand is "I want to backup my stuff".

Here's the apple website about backing up your MacBook Pro.
    https://www.apple.com/support/backup/

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your internal drive onto your external drive. When you get it back, you can restore from the backup to your internal drive and everything will be the same as when you backed it up.