Past Pre-Order sellouts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tacload, Oct 6, 2011.

1. tacload macrumors member

Quick questions to those that have done this song and dance before.

I'm assuming that there is a limit to the number of pre-orders that they will take. I'm trying to figure out if I don't get on the computer at the stroke of 12am pacific time, when will they be sold out?

Further more, what if I waited until after the 14th... I'm sure they will most likely be sold out... how long until they get enough in that someone can stroll into the store (or online) and order one?

Lastly, if I do pre-order for store pickup, how long do I have to pick it up? Does it have to be picked up within a certain number of days? If I pre-order online for shipping, does it have to be activated within a certain number of days (I'm assuming that the clock starts running on my return window immediately)?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to do... switch from Sprint (for fear of sub par network performance) or to stay with Sprint (for fear that I'll need more than 2gb of data). If I stay with Sprint, I can pre-order. If I leave, I want to wait until the 26th to port out since that's the end of my billing period and Sprint doesn't prorate the final bill.

2. fender57 macrumors 6502

I live on the West Coast and I participated in the past two pre-orders, 3GS and i4. The time ordering started was different both times, I think Apple decides at no set interval what time to start pre-orders. That said, last year the pre-order process was wrought with server issues on AT&T's end. Perhaps, with AT&T and Verizon (and possibly Sprint) sharing the load this issue may be abated. As to when they will sell-out, I'm thinking that might not be as bad an issue as years past because many folks were holding out for a new design and will opt to wait until the "5" (or whatever it will be called) gets released. I guess we will see but I'm thinking it might be a little smoother this year than years past.

3. tacload thread starter macrumors member

I didn't think about that with the iphone 5. You could be right. I just wish I knew when I would reasonably be able to walk into a store and buy one. The 15th? 20th? Next month? Two months?

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Maybe in a week.

5. tacload thread starter macrumors member

If that's true, then I don't feel so pressured to be there on day one. Based on what ATT and Verizon saw on their networks immediately after the iphone launched, I'm wondering what will happen to my already abysmal Sprint 3G speeds.

6. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

when the vzw iphone came out i believe the pre-orders sold out around 6-7 am cant remember. I would just set your alarm and be up 5 minutes prior. Because all of the sites are going to be hard to access.