Past pricing of Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PaulWog, Nov 10, 2016.

1. PaulWog Suspended

I am wondering about these details, and can't seem to find them by Googling:

Macbook Pro (2014 version) - Release date pricing, and total price drops?

Macbook Pro (2015 version) - Release date pricing, and total price drops?

Macbook Pro (New 2016 version) - Prices are known, obviously

I have heard some forum-goers say that Apple does this every time (up the price & do a small price drop later). But the old 2015 Macbook Pro hasn't dropped in price by even $1. Didn't the 2014 Macbook Pro drop in price by $100 or so when the 2015 was released?

Just curious.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

There are no price drops from Apple they just replace the old version with a new one. They may keep a legacy computer like the previous 13 inch pro on sale as they have done for the last 5years but this time round the previous 13 inch rMBP is more expensive!!!

New product lines (as in where the rMBP was introduced) usually get a price drop after the first year the. That's it it's the standard pricing for the lifetime of that design, may get more ram or SSD as standard but they don't usually change after that first price drop.

3. leman macrumors 604

Yep, exactly — the first unibody models and the first retina models were priced quite 'premiumly', but the price dropped the next year (I think it was in the ballpark of $200 or something). Its fairly likely that we are observing something similar with the 2016 refresh.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple to my knowledge has reduced the price, but I believe its a very rare occurrence and I would not bank on the new MBPs seeing a price drop, especially after seeing that they're outselling every other laptop.

5. gerbilbox macrumors regular

You're right, they have reduced prices but it's rare. The only time I can remember it from the past five years was when they dropped the base model of the first gen 13-in Retina MacBook Pro from $1,699 USD to $1,499 just four months after its release:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...i5-2.5-13-late-2012-retina-display-specs.html

To the original poster, EveryMac.com should mention price drops, but you'll have to check model by model to look for others.